Hernia Help

I'm half way through my engineering degree but have a true desire to the Royal Navy. However I found out I have a hiatus hernia and was wondering if this would affect the joining process?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hernias can significantly affect medical suitability for service unfortunately.

Section 4, annex E, paragraph 1 of jsp 950 refers regarding surgery for the condition : https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/20160902-jsp-950-part-1-lft-6-7-7-pdf.259822/

Ultimately only a qualified service health professional can give definitive advice in this area - it's worth talking to your local AFCO to ask them to query the Service Entry Medical Cell to enquire under what circumstance a person with this condition can be passed fit for entry.

Depends on the type of hernia. One of the most common one is the inguinal hernia (in the groin). I had mine repaired at Haslar having been diagnosed with one in basic training.
As for hiatus hernias, not sure they can operate on that. As Ninja Stoker says, the service professional should be able to give a definitive answer. I suppose it depends on how much it bothers you and any limitations or medication that you need.

Howdy guys, I have a pariumbilical hernia, it's not to bad, just looks like an extra abb haha, not getting any hip from it in the slightest, I work at sea doing a heavy grafting job and no problems no problem, plan on joing the royal marines next year, however can you tell me what the grades mean? I.e. p2 p8? Thank you

soleil

War Hero
Howdy guys, I have a pariumbilical hernia, it's not to bad, just looks like an extra abb haha, not getting any hip from it in the slightest, I work at sea doing a heavy grafting job and no problems no problem, plan on joing the royal marines next year, however can you tell me what the grades mean? I.e. p2 p8? Thank you

They are grades of fitness for service derived from something called the PULHHEEMS system.

P2 = Medically fit for unrestricted service worldwide

P8 = Medically unfit for service.

There are grades in-between which apply to certain limitations and to pregnancy.

Have a look at JSP 950 if you would like to know more.

By the way, if you are hoping to join the Royal Marines, you will find the Potential Royal Marines Forum interesting.

Ballistic

War Hero
Thank you mate, I also have another question, I had back surgery 3 years ago for a disc, I'm hoping that doesnt p8 me, I'm stronger now than I've ever been! Do crossfit and hike hike up monroe's from sunrise untill sun set, ben nevis is right outside my house and has been conquered quite a few times haha, suppose I will find out next year :)

soleil

War Hero
Thank you mate, I also have another question, I had back surgery 3 years ago for a disc, I'm hoping that doesnt p8 me, I'm stronger now than I've ever been! Do crossfit and hike hike up monroe's from sunrise untill sun set, ben nevis is right outside my house and has been conquered quite a few times haha, suppose I will find out next year :)

JRVD

I think that the best thing to do in the circumstances would be to register on the Potential Royal Marines Forum and ask the question in the Joining section. Some of the moderators on there are RN/RM Careers Advisors who recruit for the Royal Marines and they would be good sources of advice.

Here you go:

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
I don't know if this is of any help to you.
I had an ingroinal Hernia which I must admit was causing me some discomfort.
Just over three weeks ago I had it repaired at Royal Berks Hospital,
It was day surgery so in at 0730 and discharged at 1530.My scar has now healed the hernia is no more and I feel great. Had to stop driving fora week or so but now driving and carrying on as normal. Heavy lifting for now is out but I still carry my shopping andother things.
Incidently I had a simiar operation ot tother side in 1985 carried out at Hasler. Then it was about 5 days in hospital. That operation was also successful.
My advice get yerself in and have it done!