Here's an Idea - MOD network forums

Clouseau

Banned
Quite interested in all the threads about RR purpose/advertising/relevance/moderation. JD asked for ideas - here's one:

Why not try and set up a separate (Not RR) discussion Forum on the MOD only network, (DII). There would be problems with regard free speech and military discipline, but if handled carefully and moderated effectively I believe it could work. It would certainly allow those people who find this site lacking in currency and relevance a place to discuss "hot" and even Restricted subjects.

This could add to the "Communities of Interest" approach and promote "Best Practice". Imagine maintainers at sea starting threads like

"...... 996 doesn't work I've tried everything, can anyone help?".......

I acknowledge a whole raft of issues - but it can work and I have seen it work at DERA/QinetiQ.

Might even rival RR :wink:
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
I maybe a lil dumb here but are you basically saying to start a site on a MOD network?

If so, this will not have anything to do with RR as it would be run by the RN/gov and not the CO's here. Good idea though but you are pointing towards a whole new site, unless I am wrong.
 
Considering the ratio of serving / non personnel, I think it might be a bit boring, throw in the big brother part and....
 

SAM_The_Man_Dicosta

Lantern Swinger
Jenny_Dabber said:
I maybe a lil dumb here but are you basically saying to start a site on a MOD network?

If so, this will not have anything to do with RR as it would be run by the RN/gov and not the CO's here. Good idea though but you are pointing towards a whole new site, unless I am wrong.

Clouseau
Why not try and set up a separate (Not RR) discussion Forum on the MOD only network, (DII). Might even rival RR /
Jeez Jonny, even with my bed eengleesh and cloosows i evven manage to feegure ouwt what he was saying, "unleess you are rong"

By the way Jonny,, Do you av a seester? PLZ

Perhaps eef it woz on the Mod Netwurk we wouldn't av ceevies as moderaytar talking shite as eef they were still in,, going off on some sort of power treep coz of the way they were treated a OM's or ab's.
just a thought!

Hopefully this isn't over the head of anybody,,, we are al fairly switched on in here,,, unless you are a dumb slapper dabber!

(Why DID you delete your post Jonny?)
 
A minor point, maybe, but the anonymous Posts could be traced straight back to an accounted and signed for machine. Career limitation springs to mind.
 

Clouseau

Banned
Jenny_Dabber said:
I maybe a lil dumb here but are you basically saying to start a site on a MOD network?

If so, this will not have anything to do with RR as it would be run by the RN/gov and not the CO's here. Good idea though but you are pointing towards a whole new site, unless I am wrong.
You are quiet correct. "Not RR".
 

Clouseau

Banned
Passed-over_Loggie said:
A minor point, maybe, but the anonymous Posts could be traced straight back to an accounted and signed for machine. Career limitation springs to mind.
So what you're saying is that it would be self moderating!!
 

Clouseau

Banned
Lingyai said:
Considering the ratio of serving / non personnel, I think it might be a bit boring, throw in the big brother part and....
More boring than reading the usual rants about the quality of todays RN?

More tedious than reading the same old tripe about what's wrong with foreigners / muslims / the government?

More dull than reading the "In" jokes from the forum clique?
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
Clouseau said:
Lingyai said:
Considering the ratio of serving / non personnel, I think it might be a bit boring, throw in the big brother part and....
More boring than reading the usual rants about the quality of todays RN?

More tedious than reading the same old tripe about what's wrong with foreigners / muslims / the government?

More dull than reading the "In" jokes from the forum clique?
You may wish to take a step back an relook at your idea, what you think is boring could be considered good by others etc

This is not the point, your suggestion, be that of a good one, is one that means setting up a whole new and different site, this is not going to help RR.
 

Clouseau

Banned
Jenny_Dabber said:
You may wish to take a step back an relook at your idea, what you think is boring could be considered good by others etc?
True - but that's "My Opinion".

Jenny_Dabber said:
This is not the point, your suggestion, be that of a good one, is one that means setting up a whole new and different site, this is not going to help RR.
Right again. My idea won't help RR, but it will give a forum to Serving Personnel to discuss Service matters, exchange ideas, promote best practice and generally benefit its' contributors. - Hang on isn't that what RR is for??

I spoke to a collegue today and asked him if he'd heard of RR. He replied: "Not that old manking - shop!?"

The idea was not to put down RR - simply to offer a different solution to the perception that RR Does not / cannot provide a service forum to discuss current and relevant service issues.

I conceed there are problems with the idea - but thought that RR was the ideal place to discuss them. Don't you like the idea of competition being discussed on this site??
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
This isn't the topic, that's my point, we called for ideas to help the site, not to go against the site.
 

Clouseau

Banned
Jenny_Dabber said:
This isn't the topic, that's my point, we called for ideas to help the site, not to go against the site.
You miss the point. This isn't "against" RR. This is about providing a service to RN personnel. I started a new thread deliberately to prevent confusion over the previous issues of moderation / relevance and purpose.

If you are unhappy, feel free to move it to a forum of your choosing.
 
I suppose an internal one might give the opportunity to discuss, say, the new bone/barking Standard Priority System in relation to Naval support. Things that we wouldn't want rubber necks and journos having access to.
 

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Unfortunately not all of us have constant access to dii. There is one terminal in our office which is always being used for admin. Even for the crabs that work here it's a struggle to get time on the system to sort out their JPA shite and when we and the pongos get JPA it's going to be a bunfight to log on to the system for that let alone a forum.

I only ever used to log onto chots to look at buzz busters, anybody know what's happened to that?
 

Bad CO

Admin
I know the sort of thing that Closeau is talking about. The Army has gone one better and created something called ArmyNet. Its available from the internet but you have to be serving or sponsored by a serving soldier to join. It has loads of good stuff such as pay statements, email and other useful information. It even has a forum. Obviously the admins know who everyone is so debate tends to be quite stifled but it is still an excellent resource that I think the RN should copy.

As far as DII communities go, I'm also aware of them. My experience though is that they are barely used due to issues such as lack of DII access.

As far as I'm concerned none of these is a competitor to ARRSE or RR - rather they are extremely complimentary. In fact forums tend to feed off each other. Witness ARRSE, RR, RearParty and E-goat for instance.
 

Clouseau

Banned
Jimmy_Green said:
Unfortunately not all of us have constant access to dii. There is one terminal in our office which is always being used for admin. Even for the crabs that work here it's a struggle to get time on the system to sort out their JPA shite and when we and the pongos get JPA it's going to be a bunfight to log on to the system for that let alone a forum.

I only ever used to log onto chots to look at buzz busters, anybody know what's happened to that?
Yep, lack of DII is a problem. Even Collingwood, heart iof the WE world, hasn't got DII, and wont have it for another year!
 

Clouseau

Banned
Bad_CO said:
I know the sort of thing that Closeau is talking about. The Army has gone one better and created something called ArmyNet. Its available from the internet but you have to be serving or sponsored by a serving soldier to join. It has loads of good stuff such as pay statements, email and other useful information. It even has a forum. Obviously the admins know who everyone is so debate tends to be quite stifled but it is still an excellent resource that I think the RN should copy.

As far as DII communities go, I'm also aware of them. My experience though is that they are barely used due to issues such as lack of DII access.

As far as I'm concerned none of these is a competitor to ARRSE or RR - rather they are extremely complimentary. In fact forums tend to feed off each other. Witness ARRSE, RR, RearParty and E-goat for instance.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
superpom Here we go lads...laddettes? The Quarterdeck 114
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS We will robustly defend human rights here at the UN and beyond MoD News 1
LeedsBornLeedsBred Passed out 5 week ago, here to answer any questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Here we go! Football fans urged to remember basic rules of road MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cash here to stay as government commits to protecting access MoD News 0
Lily jade Newbie Here The Corps 13
J Any MAs on here? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L New here ;) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
LateToTheParty HMS Conqueror - Did anyone on here serve on her? Submariners 8
N Any Accelerated Apprenticeship Scheme: Marine Engineers here? Joining the Royal Navy 31
Simon - Quest Magazine Want to keep flying? Here’s how … The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Crinkley Stuff No Who does What Here Finance & Pensions 1
NateDogg Any serving Aircraft handlers on here? or anyone applying? Joining the Royal Navy 49
SquidlyDiddly Any SE Officers or Cadets here? RFA 0
BillyNoMates "Everything to see here" History 0
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
G Collingwood here i come RFA 10
S Anyone on here a part of the recruitment team? Submariners 14
drewfester Here we go again! Another new uniform Current Affairs 141
A I'm back from my PRNC - Here's a few tips for anyone yet to do it! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
D Anyone here a SG 1/2 RFA 5
Ninja_Stoker The "your name here" thread Diamond Lil's 205
Jockanese Mine Warfare (I know, it's already on here but...) The Fleet 5
ToonPatriot Any Aircraft controllers here? The Fleet Air Arm 6
C Is anyone here a marine engineering technician? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
5oclockhero Any current or ex-RFA personnel on here? RFA 6
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3
T The Greatest Military / Pub Duvet Jacket known to man - Kosa 3 Mk II is here Travel & The Great Outdoors 1
T Does this go here? NAVAL OFFICERS HONOURED FOR ROLE IN SOMALIA MoD News 0
MaiBelle Off to Ghana...cause it's not hot enough here! Travel & The Great Outdoors 34
fails_as_is Duty watch really turned to under the glory shower here... The Gash Barge 2
Repulse New chap here... History 19
F Anybody here seen Peppa ? The Gash Barge 52
2 anyone here into athletics? Sports and Adventure Training 8
B What is wrong with some of the see you next tuesdays on here? The Gash Barge 40
finknottle Syria, Here We Go Again! Current Affairs 50
Good CO Software upgrade done this morning - any errors here please / Blog removed Site Issues 39
finknottle Our spineless government could learn a thing or two here. Current Affairs 36
SONAR-BENDER Roll up! Roll up! Get yer F30 gizzit here! Diamond Lil's 2
MG Maniac Here we go again???? Current Affairs 12
M Hi all, MA in waiting here, first post! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
Muppet89 Newbie here! (sort of!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
J Hey! Im new here :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
BillyNoMates Newbies can check in here. The Corps 0
SerkJ Newbie Here Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
trelawney126 Cutbacks here and Loans to the IMF Current Affairs 18
BSBRN82 From fail to pass, amazing WS SM here I come Miscellaneous 13
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top