Hereford Times: "Gay surname change before man joins Navy"

Re: Hereford Times: "Gay surname change before man joins Nav

I've known a couple of people in the mob who had that surname and it didn't do them any harm.

Why on Earth does he think it'll improve his career prospects? For his whole time in, he'll be known as "that twat who used to be gay".

TattooDog said:
I've known a couple of people in the mob who had that surname and it didn't do them any harm.
Ditto. What, does he think he won't get promoted because of his surname? I don't get it.

"To thine ownself be true", as the great man once said.

I'd be just as worried about the forename, Tristram?? Very wardrobe dontcha know

WreckerL said:
I'd be just as worried about the forename, Tristram?? Very wardrobe dontcha know
That was my first reaction also, Wrecker.
When I was in the mob, gay meant - happy/carefree. It wasn't until I first went to the good ol' USA in the 60's that 'gay' meant something else.
But that was a long time ago.. when we had a navy. Brownhatters were called brownhatters !

Or Gay Lussac who came up with the now standard measurement of alcohol content, in the civilised world at least.

What about that PT Boat.... Gay Swordsman I think they called it..... fancy having that as your cap tally.

I yearn for a name which prompts ridicule and attempts at bullying, if only because it seems the perfect excuse to batter people.

JonnoJonno said:
I yearn for a name which prompts ridicule and attempts at bullying, if only because it seems the perfect excuse to batter people.
:D :D Exactly. Missed opportunity I reckon!