Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here we go again????

broadside

War Hero
I do wish we could rid the world of the likes of Kirchner, Carlos Teves and other irritating little Argie agitators who get right up my snout.

The islands are not called Las Malvinas, they are called the Falkland Islands. They are not Argentinian, they are British. The Argies had a go at stealing them and they didn't get away with it - suck it up and Foxtrot Oscar!

Sheesh!

Waspie

War Hero
The geological info has been common knowledge for a long time, (pre 82.) When down on a patrol in 86 my boss, (a geologist by profession,) took survey charts with him that he acquired from his Uni. They showed the value of the area surrounding the Falklands.

He believed that the whole Falkland thing has been about mineral and oil rights from the start. It is/was just a case of waiting for the technology and political will to retrieve it.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It is just a matter of time.

Last time the proposed scrapping of Endurance telegraphed a withdrawal of British interest.

This time selling 74 Harriers to the USMC & lack of operational aircraft carriers may telegraph a reliance on MPA for defence is a strategic folly.

broadside

War Hero
It is just a matter of time.

Last time the proposed scrapping of Endurance telegraphed a withdrawal of British interest.

This time selling 74 Harriers to the USMC & lack of operational aircraft carriers may telegraph a reliance on MPA for defence is a strategic folly.

Yes, very shortsighted - a squadron of Harriers parked at Stanley would be a (relatively) cheap deterrence option (IMHO) - and the island itself is quite a bit harder to sink than a carrier

Waspie

War Hero
Yes, very shortsighted - a squadron of Harriers parked at Stanley would be a (relatively) cheap deterrence option (IMHO) - and the island itself is quite a bit harder to sink than a carrier

Broadside, your a wee bit out of date there. For Stanley airfield read MPA or Mount Pleasant Airport, (Death Star) as it used to be called. That said a squadron of the Harriers wouldn't be a bad idea at all. As it stands we have supplied any invader a nice operational airfield with full facilities with little or no defensive punch.

For shortsighted read 'blind.'

broadside

War Hero
Broadside, your a wee bit out of date there. For Stanley airfield read MPA or Mount Pleasant Airport, (Death Star) as it used to be called. That said a squadron of the Harriers wouldn't be a bad idea at all. As it stands we have supplied any invader a nice operational airfield with full facilities with little or no defensive punch.

For shortsighted read 'blind.'

Thanks for the update Waspie - it's not the first time I have been declared "out of date" or "past my sell-by"

Waspie

War Hero
Thanks for the update Waspie - it's not the first time I have been declared "out of date" or "past my sell-by"

TBH I probably wouldn't have known either but MPA was under construction whilst I was there last, hence it's 'Death Star' nickname. Even then it was kept secure by 4 F4's a C130 transport and 2 Crab SAR, not forgetting our little Wasp!!!!!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
In the event there is heightened tension, it will be interesting to see which, if any, airfield security experts would be deployed to safeguard MPA.

Last edited:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I heard from my mate, who knows a taxi driver from the 'burg, who has a sister working in Faslavatory NAAFI that there are 6 boats deployed down there, all full of SBS/SAS................

Well, a couple did the trick last time.

broadside

War Hero
I heard from my mate, who knows a taxi driver from the 'burg, who has a sister working in Faslavatory NAAFI that there are 6 boats deployed down there, all full of SBS/SAS................

Well, a couple did the trick last time.

What on earth are the Strathclyde Building Society and the Scottish Ambulance Service doing in submarines in the South Atlantic?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
drewfester Here we go again! Another new uniform Current Affairs 141
finknottle Syria, Here We Go Again! Current Affairs 50
R12_CV Here we go again... Current Affairs 10
Rumrat Here we go again Current Affairs 21
NotmeChief Here the ******* go again. Current Affairs 8
trelawney126 Here We Go Again Current Affairs 14
Montigny_La_Palisse Here we go again.... Fcuking help! Diamond Lil's 19
J Banks unbelievable Here we go again but with OUR cash Current Affairs 2
F CVF - Here we go again... The Fleet Air Arm 2
L Here we go again! Current Affairs 12
superpom Here we go lads...laddettes? The Quarterdeck 114
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS We will robustly defend human rights here at the UN and beyond MoD News 1
LeedsBornLeedsBred Passed out 5 week ago, here to answer any questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Here we go! Football fans urged to remember basic rules of road MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cash here to stay as government commits to protecting access MoD News 0
Lily jade Newbie Here The Corps 13
J Any MAs on here? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L New here ;) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
LateToTheParty HMS Conqueror - Did anyone on here serve on her? Submariners 8
N Any Accelerated Apprenticeship Scheme: Marine Engineers here? Joining the Royal Navy 31
Simon - Quest Magazine Want to keep flying? Here’s how … The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Crinkley Stuff No Who does What Here Finance & Pensions 1
NateDogg Any serving Aircraft handlers on here? or anyone applying? Joining the Royal Navy 49
SquidlyDiddly Any SE Officers or Cadets here? RFA 0
BillyNoMates "Everything to see here" History 0
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
G Collingwood here i come RFA 10
S Anyone on here a part of the recruitment team? Submariners 14
A I'm back from my PRNC - Here's a few tips for anyone yet to do it! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
D Anyone here a SG 1/2 RFA 5
Ninja_Stoker The "your name here" thread Diamond Lil's 205
Jockanese Mine Warfare (I know, it's already on here but...) The Fleet 5
ToonPatriot Any Aircraft controllers here? The Fleet Air Arm 6
C Is anyone here a marine engineering technician? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
5oclockhero Any current or ex-RFA personnel on here? RFA 6
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3
T The Greatest Military / Pub Duvet Jacket known to man - Kosa 3 Mk II is here Travel & The Great Outdoors 1
T Does this go here? NAVAL OFFICERS HONOURED FOR ROLE IN SOMALIA MoD News 0
MaiBelle Off to Ghana...cause it's not hot enough here! Travel & The Great Outdoors 34
fails_as_is Duty watch really turned to under the glory shower here... The Gash Barge 2
Repulse New chap here... History 19
F Anybody here seen Peppa ? The Gash Barge 52
2 anyone here into athletics? Sports and Adventure Training 8
B What is wrong with some of the see you next tuesdays on here? The Gash Barge 40
Good CO Software upgrade done this morning - any errors here please / Blog removed Site Issues 39
finknottle Our spineless government could learn a thing or two here. Current Affairs 36
SONAR-BENDER Roll up! Roll up! Get yer F30 gizzit here! Diamond Lil's 2