Here we go again????

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MG Maniac, Dec 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No such thing as coincidences in politics MG ..

2. I do wish we could rid the world of the likes of Kirchner, Carlos Teves and other irritating little Argie agitators who get right up my snout.

The islands are not called Las Malvinas, they are called the Falkland Islands. They are not Argentinian, they are British. The Argies had a go at stealing them and they didn't get away with it - suck it up and Foxtrot Oscar!

Sheesh!

• Like Like x 3
  3. The geological info has been common knowledge for a long time, (pre 82.) When down on a patrol in 86 my boss, (a geologist by profession,) took survey charts with him that he acquired from his Uni. They showed the value of the area surrounding the Falklands.

He believed that the whole Falkland thing has been about mineral and oil rights from the start. It is/was just a case of waiting for the technology and political will to retrieve it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is just a matter of time.

Last time the proposed scrapping of Endurance telegraphed a withdrawal of British interest.

This time selling 74 Harriers to the USMC & lack of operational aircraft carriers may telegraph a reliance on MPA for defence is a strategic folly.

5. Yes, very shortsighted - a squadron of Harriers parked at Stanley would be a (relatively) cheap deterrence option (IMHO) - and the island itself is quite a bit harder to sink than a carrier

6. Broadside, your a wee bit out of date there. For Stanley airfield read MPA or Mount Pleasant Airport, (Death Star) as it used to be called. That said a squadron of the Harriers wouldn't be a bad idea at all. As it stands we have supplied any invader a nice operational airfield with full facilities with little or no defensive punch.

For shortsighted read 'blind.'

7. Thanks for the update Waspie - it's not the first time I have been declared "out of date" or "past my sell-by"

8. TBH I probably wouldn't have known either but MPA was under construction whilst I was there last, hence it's 'Death Star' nickname. Even then it was kept secure by 4 F4's a C130 transport and 2 Crab SAR, not forgetting our little Wasp!!!!!!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In the event there is heightened tension, it will be interesting to see which, if any, airfield security experts would be deployed to safeguard MPA.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I heard from my mate, who knows a taxi driver from the 'burg, who has a sister working in Faslavatory NAAFI that there are 6 boats deployed down there, all full of SBS/SAS................

Well, a couple did the trick last time.

11. What on earth are the Strathclyde Building Society and the Scottish Ambulance Service doing in submarines in the South Atlantic?

12. Shhh ! Annual jolly.