Herald (Scotland): "Trident Sub Crippled In Accident"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Apr 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hardly an "accident" was it? - shit happens. Now, a MoD plod going through your propulsor that's an accident! Plus, a "rent a nuclear geek" quote from the illustrious John Large (what a throbber), my word must have been an event of Fukashima like proportions.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Hardly newsworthy, and certainly not a scary moment for the crew, I suspect, neither a cause of embarrasment for the MOD. We seem to be immersed in Journalistic crap, statistics are meaningless, "Experts" in every single field one can imagine who speak with authority and know absolutely nothing about what their talking about......my teas going cold!

3. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

A "scary moment for the crew"? What?! For goodness' sake, precisely who does John Large think he's trying to frighten/impress, suggesting that RN Submariners are going to panic over something as small as this? Clearly he thinks the RN just force those poor, put-upon fellows into the boats with no training whatsoever...

Caught props are a not unheard of occurrence from the little I know from friends in the Merchant Navy, merely a "shrug, sigh and get on with it" problem. I would have thought a tangled prop would merit even less of a reaction from RN Submariners.

What on earth is this twit on about? Loss of power? If power was lost, how did Vengeance "limp back" to Gareloch?

I'm ashamed of the Herald. "Limping", "red faces", "crippled", quoting unofficial sources... shoddy journalism of the highest order, to be avoided by anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together. Pi$$es me off, this kind of sensationalist crap :evil5:

4. ...by people who don't know their 4r5e from their elbow....
    "Experts say the boat will probably now be powered by the auxiliary motors to avoid further damage to the propulsor .... sometimes known as the "meatmincer" or "big whirlything at the back" ......