Herald (S): "Scientists Get £500K To Study How Toys Shape Children's Attitude To War"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Nov 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dolls.jpg

"Scientists are to examine whether action figure dolls help form children's opinions on war and shape British attitudes to the armed forces.

The research will focus on the best-selling military action figure toy range, Her Majesty's Armed Forces (HMAF) dolls, licensed by the Ministry of Defence.

HMAF dolls are modelled on current British armed forces and the current best-seller is a ten-inch high infantry soldier in desert combats - an image that is often seen on television news about Afghanistan."

Action Men: scientists get £500K to study how toys shape children's attitude to war | Herald Scotland

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It obviously must influence youngsters - I used to have loads of "war related" toy guns, Action Man and a fascination with the military when I grew-up in the 1960's & 70's.

The RM Band visited my school, the RAF Central band visited also, we used to have a huge local military show every year where the Red Devils used to parachute in, The Battle of Britain Flight & the Red Arrows used to do a display, the RAF had static displays with the front bits of a Vulcan Bomber, a Shackleton, a Folland Gnat, a Vampire & a Jet Provost, the Army had a couple of tanks to climb over, the White Helmets used to do a cracking motorbike display involving Triumph motorbikes & lots of burning hay, but best of all the Royal Navy Wessex used to rescue a bloke sat in a liferaft in the middle of a field who let off an orange smoke/flame distress signal. I never did understand why he needed rescuing, but I liked the Navy's logic and thought I could be an intellectual giant in that outfit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. It doesn't matter what shape the toys are until kids are mature enough to appreciate the true horrors of war they will enjoy pretending to play war games.
    There you go Profs I saved you half a million quid but if it's still going spare I could do with a few quid towards my domestic fuel costs.

4. You had me ref all the war stuff, the you had to mention The Central Band of Crab! Why the F*ck do they need a band?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. [​IMG]

What I'd like to know is how playing with "barbie dolls" made this bloke want to actually look like the real life "Ken".