Herald: "Royal Navy Flagship HMS Bulwark To Return To Plymouth On Friday"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Dec 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 5604707-large.jpg

"The Commanding Officer of a Plymouth warship has praised his “exceptional” team for their success on Exercise Cougar 13.

Captain Andrew Burns said he was “immensely proud” of the achievements of the sailors and marines aboard HMS Bulwark which has spent the last four months at sea.

He also said their efforts were in no doubt partly thanks to the support of friends and family back home.

His words came just days before the Royal Navy fleet flagship is due to return to Devonport this Friday.

Royal Navy flagship HMS Bulwark to return to Plymouth on Friday | Plymouth Herald
  2. He's hardly likely to say 'Well that was shit.'
  3. Op Cougar hasn't been too bad to be honest this time round. Glad I'm not on the Lusty though and not just because my kits on here.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Ship comes back from four months away..."

And this made the papers, why..? :?
  5. Because the RN's traditional low key approach to positive publicity hasn't done it any favours where the GBP, media and politicians are concerned, especially when compared to the Army and RAF?
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I get that, NG. But because the RN's Media Ops Department have put it out there, is it really newsworthy, in comparison to other stories?
  7. because everything is army-centric and has been for far too long

it grips my shyt when they refer to personnel in the armed forces (in general) as soldiers or squaddies.
    I am neither thanks and there is more going on than afghanistan
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Considering how much the Fleet has shrunk, each departure and return from deployment is a rare enough occasion these days.
  9. Whilst I understand your comment, it is not a rare thing. It happens with monotonous regularity, every 10 weeks or so.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ten times per year? For those of us who can remember when QHM Portsmouth's daily movements signal contained at least two pages of text and the Bridge Card listed around 150 ships and submarines, that's rare enough.

P.S. I am a few years short of becoming an OAP yet. :)
  11. You were just moving the broken down ships back and forth..... ;)
  12. "Buffer" report to me! Why were "safety nets" not rigged before that hoard charged ashore?
  13. Actually they were for the gangway rigged before we got in, the side ramp does not require one
    • Like Like x 1