Herald: "Plymouth RNR Unit To Recruit Up To 70 Volunteers In The Next 4 Years"

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by soleil, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have to agree with the commenters at the bottom of the article about the photo the Herald has chosen to use ........

Edit: The photo has now been changed ... the pic to which I was referring was a row of feet in muddy boots worn by people wearing some kind of generic uniform, not Naval.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. Sadly it's on a par the usual standard of 'errol defence reporting.

3. Ha ha! They've changed the image to reflect the printed version of the 'errol.

4. Serious question! I'm just about to leave the army and have been considering joining the TA. HMS Vivid is just down the road from me though so I guess I should look at them too. Unfortunately I've got no idea what they do or if there are any age restrictions, etc. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

5. Bugger off we don't want perce infiltrating the Senior service, its bad enough you let Blackrat on here.
    On a serious note wouldn't the TA be your best option as I thought you could retain or accelerate you rank going like for like.

Oh and I did of course mean Bugger off sir.:salute:

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

PM to Purple Twiglet would be your best bet, might take a while to get a reply as he is on his holidays at the moment.
    The other avenue would be Nina Stroker also known as Ninja Stoker

7. Not something that actually interests me, even if I joined the TA I don't think I'd want to do that!

Very good, carry on!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

8. Bad CO

In principle, the age limit for RNR Ratings is 40, extended to 45 for applicants with previous service. The limit for Officers is 40, although for Medical Officers, Nursing Officers, Chaplains, Amphibious Warfare and Air Branch it's 45. Having said that, there is such a thing as an age waiver and to know whether that might be possible (or even necessary!!!) in your case, you would need to liaise with the Unit itself.

All the Units have introduction evenings at regular intervals; HMS Vivid might be having one soon, so, if you are interested, get in touch with them, either by e-mail at [email protected] or by 'phone on 01752 552676.

[TABLE="class: uiGrid contactInfoTable"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: vTop pbs pls"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: vTop pbs prs"][/TD]
    [TD="class: vTop pbs pls"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  9. BCO - in all honesty, I wouldn't bother. The RNR will drive you up the wall with it's inefficiency and general inability to get anything done. I doubt your current service would have any effect on the basic training you have to go through, nor would it help in your trade training.

10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

BCO - PM me and we can have a chat about opportunities.

Depends on your background, but I know plenty of ex Army who did not have to do basic training again, but level transfer across. It was suggested they may want to come over to some new entry classes for induction, but that wasnt compulsory.