Herald: "Navy Life Runs In The Family For Five Generations"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Dec 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "“He’s always wanted to join either the Navy or the Royal Marines and the Navy was quicker at getting him in"

2. I do admire honesty!
  3. I am more just surprised that the navy was quicker for him haha!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I do despair. You can join the Royal Marines in about six weeks if you are fit enough from the outset. Problem is most applicants aren't and the knock-on effect is we waste a load of money training them to be a matelot, only for them to later want to transfer.
  5. Only 5? There's at least 6 that I know with me. Granted you have to skip my grandfather, but he was a chindit.
  6. I can go back to my great great grandfather without a break and my son also served so does that count?
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That's feck all. Siann/Emily from Yeovilton is lucky enough to have three kids by seven different matelots.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. I'm RNR, my great uncle was in the RN, my grandfather on my dads side was in the Missions to Seafarers and my great grandfather on my mums side was in RNVR during WW1.

The daft thing is in knew nothing of any of this when I joined up. Strange how things turned out.
  9. Just the 5? Hell I can trace mine all the way back to the 1st China war of 1840.
  10. Will his nick-name be 'Dink' or 'Oz'?
  11. Na. I would go with 'Aussie bastard'
  12. Coming over here taking all our jobs!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  13. Family history has it, that my paternal great great grandfather and his brother were pressed from the small boat they were fishing for herring from.Their two young sons being left aboard to, to bring the boat ashore. With the money the got on release they bought a small piece of land which belongs to my cousin to this day.
  14. As long as the story satisfied the Constabulary it doesn't matter where the money came from.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. My maternal Grandmother was the Brigade Sgt/Major in the Brigade of Gurkhas, serving in France, Turkey, Palestine and alongside Lawrence of Arabia in Mesopotamia.
    • Like Like x 1