Herald: "Admiral Says Thank You"

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
Can't recall ever seeing an admiral in No 8's either. But then I only did 22 years so probably didn't see too many.
Can only ever recall seeing them stood on a podium taking a salute, usually in 1's.

I've seen a few now including 1SL wearing them

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's encouraging to see our top Admiral instantly recogniseable as Navy. One of his predecessors insisted on wearing combats and looking more like a squaddie whenever he was out and about, even on board ships and submarines.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's encouraging to see our top Admiral instantly recogniseable as Navy. One of his predecessors insisted on wearing combats and looking more like a squaddie whenever he was out and about, even on board ships and submarines.
Fair one, but Royal Machines look a bit like squaddies, or vice versa, also. Causes no end of confusion. :???:

Fair one, but Royal Machines look a bit like squaddies, or vice versa, also. Causes no end of confusion. :confused:
Yes, but I don't expect to see the Commandant General Royal Marines wearing RN 8s (now No.4 dress).

Booties are, after all, 'sea soldiers'. However, even in combats they are smart enough (in all senses) to stand out from pongos, especially when wearing their green lids. :)

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's not uncommon for RN to wear DPM/MTP on a daily basis, regardless of their rank or branch, according to their theatre of operation (including here in the UK). But I imagine it would be a bit reckless to be wandering around Bastion and the FOBs in No. 4s, wouldn't it..? :shock: :wink: