Her Majesty the Queen names HMS Queen Elizabeth

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jul 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Queen has arrived to give her name to the largest warship built in the UK at a ceremony in Fife's Rosyth dockyard.

She will smash a bottle of whisky on the hull of the 65,000-tonne HMS Queen Elizabeth - the first of two new Royal Navy aircraft carriers being built.

She is with the Duke of Edinburgh at the naming ceremony, a naval tradition dating back thousands of years.

PM David Cameron said it was a "very proud day" for Scotland and the UK.

First Minister Alex Salmond, former prime minister Gordon Brown and Chancellor George Osborne are also attending.

Six shipyards in the UK including Tyne, Rosyth and Appledore have been involved in building parts of the carrier.

BBC News - Queen naming new Royal Navy aircraft carrier in Rosyth
  2. Im not even a part of the MOB yet and i feel proud. Today is a good day
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say I'm impressed. Long overdue but it's here at last.
  4. Only a shame we may have to share it with the boys in light blue!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. May have too... I think that's written in stone
  6. Anyone see the Red Arrows doing a fly past? They (The Crabs) just have to steal some thunder don't they?
  7. Where are the Black Cats when you need them?
  8. Just wait until they (light blue jobs) have to land on it! We'll see just how keen they are to gate crash an RN party and drop it onto a pitching deck -

Round again please chief!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. hopefully i will serve on her one day! is the app really nesersary?!? to nav this ship?
  10. That was for the constructors building the thing as there's no location markings on the bulkheads and most the compartments aren't finished and everywhere looks the same.
  11. Ah naval architects, god bless 'em....that's one hell of a target! :p
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There are location markings EVERYWHERE. It's actually quite easy to get around without this app I've heard so much about but yet to see.
  13. I've always had my doubts about this App as we'll. how the hell does it work when there is no phone signal between decks as it's built of steel?
    Anyway there was some great footage on BBC and Sky and finally get the sense of scale when you see Lusty next to her. It's immense.
    Even saw and old shipmate stood on the focsle on the footage live on Sky. Hope everyone had a great day
    really looking forward to going to see the first entry in about 3 years time :):)
  14. Always remember the crab trying to land a Bucc on the old Ark Royal, the skipper says to flyco if he doesn't land this time, (6th attempt), send back to Lossiemouth!!!!

Said it all really!!!
  15. Punchline was, you were 700 miles off Brazil at the time....
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Much the same as the Crab Jockey trying to land on Hermes during the Falklands when we embarked flight ... last one on ... went into the hover alongside No 4 spot (right over the Sick Bay) ... must have been sitting there 5 minutes or more watching the deck move in a gentle swell! Flyco threatened to send him home then!
  17. I'm a bit puzzled. Having been assured that the ship's size was dictated by the presence of the Crabs, I can't see in the cutaway pictures where the designers have located the hotel suites, swimming pool, golf course etc. Are they included in the much-vaunted App?
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Do they not teach compartment markings and how to read them at Raleigh??? Always thought they were on every access throughout the shop or has that changed as well????