Heppy memories of Snoekie!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Seaweed, Aug 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. My son is there on holiday at the moment, magnum of sparkling wine £4. Remember the smoked snoekie at sea point, and cape brandy, and all night drinking in the Navs Den, Catacombs, Darryls
  3. wal

wal Badgeman

Meeeeeeeeen, that brings back Memories. Castle beer. **** I it was 43 years ago.
  4. Run ashore brief by the Joss - you WILL NOT go to the Navvies Den........, so, stopped by a Yarpie Police Car while walking there - they said it was so dangerous to walk that they took us right to the door! I remember some Indian fakir type standing on broken beer mugs and bottles, which we were encouraged to break. He then pierced his skin with various sized hooks before hanging ever larger objects from them. Great run ashore.............
  5. It was very good of the mob to point out all the best runs when you were going in, dont go here, stay away from there, avoid that, on more than one occasion we had to ask an officer to write down some of the places for us in case the cab driver didnt understand
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Got told in Lisbon once to stay out of the red light district as it was strictly out of bounds and too dangerous.

Guess where our hotel was =D, good planning by someone. Literally out the door, turn left and straight into the Texas bar.
  7. was that the one with boat and band in the rafters ????
  8. Blimey! 52 years ago for me, I seem to remember that we had to transfer some of our coloured crew, about 5/6, before we actually got into Capetown, because of the apartheid issues, district 6 and all that. The beach at Muezenburg was good , as was the general hospiltality, a huge queue of people in the dockyard offering BBQ's etc. Those ace toasted ham sarnies in the restaurant at the top of Table Top. Loads of cheap and first class fruits, Cape brandy was rather tasty. Apart from the colour issue, a very good run ashore.
  9. This is bringing back memories, first run there in '64 and two long breaks there on the way to the Gulf in '68 and back in '69, all great runs. Got lost lost driving the ship's car, provided by Afrikander, and went through District 6 and had all sorts of things thrown at us, scary!
  10. wal

wal Badgeman

Never made it to Table Top as she took me round to her mother's place and shag my brains out. Hey Ho there's always tomorrow.
  11. Was out there 7 yrs ago ... some has changed!

Ham sarnies on Table Top still available as is Castle Beer and Cape Brandy

Decent steak dinner ... about £12 a head ... very decent bottle of wine to go with it ... £12 - £15 and up!

District 6 ... bulldozed for the World Cup ... the Yarpys were clearing 000's of inhabitants a night and bulldozing it the same night otherwise it was full again by the next morning.
  12. Fak it man,
    In the goot old days when the Kafir bastards knew their place they would bulldozer it FULL.
    Makes economic sense. Man.
  13. wal

wal Badgeman

Music to my ears. Van de Merver Rummers in full flow.
  14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

My recollection is that any mixed-race sailors were well lashed up by whatever the SA equivalent of the RBL is.

Postie (and Jaunty's gofer) was heard taking a shore call in the Reg Office.

Postie (loudly): 'F'ing GYM SHOES?'
    Lady on phone (Postie is in, there) 'Sure, all us coloured folk wear gym shoes'.