helpmyself and what i can bring

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by brazenhussy, Jan 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi-
    have an interview tomoro and give a presentation on "myself and what i can bring to *******( and the royal navy- any ideas how i can waffle- do i go humour, or serious sell myself- not literally......

2. What is the interview for?

3. Mixture of both i'd say - play the crowd, see how it goes and adjust to suit if possible.

Whatever its for hussy, good luck and relax ;)

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Quite simply, the question of "what can you bring to *****" needs answering in two parts; part 1, what are the current needs of *****, and part 2, how can you address these needs. You could then use this basic structure to answer either seriously or with a degree of humour (or even both!).

e.g. What do I bring to the party? Based on an objective analysis of the stock levels in the kitchen, its obvious that the party is running short of booze, and I happen to have here in my bag a bottle of Pusser's finest....

What can I offer the Canadian Safety Engineering community? The current position of safety section head has been vacant for nearly 18 months; during this time there have been numerous efforts to fill this position with people recruited from within AECL's existing staff and the wider Canadian Labour force - these efforts have not been fruitful. I am an engineer with over 20 years post-graduate experience in a variety of consultancy, management and design roles...... blah, blah, blah.

Simply, state what you understand the question to be, and then answer it in a way the demonstrates your strengths.

Good luck

5. Beginning, Middle and End is always good...a bit like a story.

Tell em, tell em and tell em again - what's that?

At the beginning of the presentation Tell them what the presentation is about, then tell them (deliver the presentation) and tell them again at the end in a summary...ie I'm going to explain my view on rum ration...rum ration is brill, i can drip all i like and no one cares, I can keep in touch with, etc, etc...so to summarise rum ration is great.

Always be prepared to identify a weakness - everyone knows you will tell them all about the good things. Dont offer it up unless they ask but if the question arises at least you have considered it - but then how have, or will, you address the weakness/developmental area.

It's always good to be able to provide examples, for example in my current role I have.... my line manager has praised me for... I have received positive feedback on... etc,etc

Hope this helps - I'm a trainer and do recruit assessing/interviewing in normal my job so used to dealing with issues such as this.

Good luck

Windy