Helpful qualifications?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by marine32, Jan 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm considering applying to join the royal navy, hopefully as a warfare officer. i would mainly like to know if anybody knows of any qualifications that will aid in gaining the position? obviously there are the fitness/medical/psychometric tests but surely there's lots of competition within those that get through the tests and training.
    i have acheived the gold duke of endiburgh award, will that hold any weight? I've noticed there are things like URNU's etc. could anybody recommend anything else to help?
    as a side question what specialities are there to go into from junior WO? no abbreviations though as i dont understand them all. theres mine clearance/navigations/etc..

i have used the search function and weirdly not found anything.
  2. Thought of going to a recruiting office and talk to the people that give this advice.

As for using the 'search' function - as my teacher used to say on my reports.

Must try harder!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I have indeedy but I won't be able to go to a recruiting office for two weeks so would like the information before then. Also if you managed to find a relevant similar thread about qualifications prior to applying could you link it here please?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Putting Warfare Officer into the search box produced

About 777 results (0.24 seconds)

There must be some help for you amongst that lot surely
  5. None I have found talk about pre-application qualifications. Can you help or not? I thought that's what this forum was for. Instead of attempting to belittle and discourage newbies.

6. Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. Joining an URNU will only be a possibility if you are a University student or going to be.

How old are you and what is your current educational status?
  8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Before you burst into tears, have you looked at the RN website?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
    • Like Like x 1
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No one has tried to be little or discourage you, I didn't have an answer to your question so pointed you to where it might be. This is not an official recruiting forum and sometimes it can be a while before someone comes along with an answer. In the meantime my pointer might, just might help with a lot of your other questions.
  10. Soleil
    I'm 19, starting my second term of my second year next week.

Yup looked ages ago

11. Which subject?

Is there a URNU at your Uni?
  12. Sadly it's a bachelor of arts which isn't really good for anything, I just did it because it was expected of me as my other siblings went and BA Ceramics seemed like a fun idea after a nice from mech engineering to product design to ceramics.
    There seems to be, the navy website shows one but the wurnu Wales-urnu doesn't seem to keep is website up to date, I emailed them a few days ago though :)

13. After a change from mech engineering*

14. URNU recruiting is normally in freshers week and you join in Sept/Oct so you'll have missed it for this year. If the unit has spaces they might take you though.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Why did you change from Engineering to Ceramics?

By the way, do you have the GCSE and UCAS requirement?
  16. Because my a levels pointed toward engineering but after a few taster days at universities I realized I didn't like it so I changed to product design and the course wasn't very inspiring so now I do ba ceramics, at least it's fun.

Indeed I do, does physics and maths count as "overlapping subject areas"?

17. At least you could make some mugs for the ward room or a few plates .
  18. Whoa, don't you forget those mugs are going to be arty too!

19. No.

I would suggest registering your interest in joining by calling the Careers Enquiries Line on 08456 07 55 55. That should get you a place at an Initial Careers Presentation at the AFCO and then you will at least be "on the books".

You would be well advised to look at the format of the RT, the entrance test and to get in plenty of practice beforehand. It's a high score for Warfare Officer.

If you are serious about joining as an Officer, be prepared to be asked about examples of situations which show that you have leadership potential. If you are short of examples, you have time to work on correcting that. Pick up the publication Navy News from W H Smith so that you become au fait with current naval deployments.

Make sure that your spelling and grammar are up to scratch, by the way.
  20. Stop being so petulant.

This is an unofficial Navy site. It is not an official source for lazy twats who can't be arsed to use the official resources the Royal Navy provides to give it's prospective joiners the necessary information needed to join up.

So get off your your high horse and grow up. Because to me your coming across as a lazy whining little git.
    • Like Like x 1