help !

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by flano, Jun 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I can not complete submarine training or decide submarines are not for me and I could not live that lifestyle would I be discharged or offered the same trade / speciality in general service.
  2. Probably offered a Golden Handshake, a pension for life and a place at the Country`s Leading University.

I`m sure that Ninja will be along to offer you `The real deal`

I`m sorry, i had the impression that people could think for themselves, my apologies.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah, plenty of dirty smelly crabmariners operating in the Private Sector... maybe you could give Roman Abramovich a call? :wink:
  4. 1. If you cannot complete training...

Medical problem - you will be offered a choice of general service or outside.

Academic - you will be probably be discharged.

2. If you decide that submarines are not for you etc...

You will be see the problem here is that everyone could in theory say that 'this' or 'that' isn't for them. You need to remember that this is a specific job you are applyinf for, not a 'try it first then buy it' sort of thing. Imagine if you were applying for a job at a supermarket - you would probably apply for a specific position/job. Once you'd got that job it would be doubtful that you'd be allowed to transfer to something else just because you didn't like it. They'd offer you the door...

Oh, and welcome BTW.
  5. Thanks mate its not for me as i think i will enjoy the boats :smile:

and i think i will pass the training its just friends and family keep on asking me and i wanted to know what to say to them.

once again thanks :thumright:
  6. sgtpepperband

Tell your friends and family to get off your back and be more supportive for you then! 8O
  7. I have done but none of them hide the fact that they dont want me joining the Royal Navy and am often called a w*nker for making this career choice.
  8. sgtpepperband

No, you're called w*nker for being an Everton fan... :thumright:
  9. haha ok ya right: :thumright:
  10. Forgot to say that you can opt to leave submarines and go to general service after five years.
  11. Is that still the case? I was of the impression that those who join as direct entry submariners no longer have that choice??

Feel free to correct if I am wrong.
  12. Bawsack, yes it is true. Even if you join as a subnmariner, 5 yrs after completing training (and spending the golden handcuffs) you can transfer to GS.
  13. I was pretty sure that if you joined as an ET (XXSM) then you have no rights to return to General Service. You can’t return to something you’ve never been. I believe it’s different for branches like MAs as they are GS before being streamed MASM.

14. Flano have you watched warship and thought that looks quite fun? lol I was asked to go submariner at the AFCO first thing as he said they are crying out for them but Im still interested in seaman spec full stop.
  15. This applies...definetly.
  16. This 'Warship' series about the big skimmer. Does anybody else get the impression that they've been told to stay out of the ops rooms and concentrate on the cookie boys (again) and trivia about relationships and the 'no touchy feely' rule!

It was good to see 'young' Mark Stanhope making his way in the world. I wonder what he thinks of being on board a target he so easily tore the bottom out of as a submarine CO. Having to pretend that yep they really are good at ASW must be galling!

I know it's edited but the gap between us and them was never so clearly demonstrated as when that that female S/LT decided that she'd had enough and said 'I don't want to play any more' and packed knicks, socks and dhoby gear in her grip and walked off the brow! If only it was that easy for the lads.....there'd be NO navy left to deploy!!!!
  17. Who gives a fcuk. Bunch of skimmer twats, I've seen about ten seconds of this, and would rather watch Big Brother.
  18. Having spoken to a member of the WTR department(not the best idea i know) I would suggest if that is what your hubby is planning on doing that he checks the small print :thumright:

Again it was a baby writer that looked in the books but he may be right :)
  19. Eh??????
  20. A friend who is a writer checked in a BR and there is no automatic right to return to general service after 5 years or time served after the Golden Hello.

In his words 'If you are a direct entry submariner, then you cannot return to GS because you have never been one' Those of us that have been in the RN for a few years have the right to return as we were all GS when we joined up.

SO what i am trying to say is if Mrs Elvis OH is planning on doing 5 years submariner and then going GS he may want to check the small print, he may have been misinformed.

Does that make sense?