Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by stewarthigh, May 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello to all here at RR. Have resorted to asking for your advice after my daughter was deemed medically unfit due to suffering from mild eczema yesterday. After finally coming to terms with the fact she wanted to join the Navy and leave us all at home (Sob), my daughter rang me yesterday saying she wasn't allowed in. As stroppy teens go she has taken to her room and refusing to talk about her options. I would just like to know if anyone knows of any cases of appeal that have happened. As much as I initally did not want her to join, I've seen how passionate she is about it and lets face it no-one wants an unhappy teenager living under the same roof as them!
  2. So take her to a dermatologist and get the eczema dealt with. Then she can reapply. If you are suggesting that the med folks got it wrong, you'll still need a professional opinion that it is or isn't eczema. Either way, clearing up her skin would go a long way in making her a happy teenager.

Then you should have a little chat with her about serving her country in the numerous careers that are outside of the military. Foreign/diplomatic service, international banking, UN positions, NATO civvy positions, The secret squirrel careers, merchant navy, lifeboats, MoD staffers such as defence economics, defence management, materiel management, research and development, procurement, naval architecture, weapon development etc etc...

Give her options and she'll either explore them or remain stroppy. Her choice.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Dare I say it?

Spot on.

For goodness sake do not give up at the first hurdle, likewise do not raise false hopes.

Good luck to her- we were all stroppy teenagers once and a bit of understanding & support goes a long, long way.