Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by stirling2, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Scuse I, how does one calculate the distance between two points on a map '' as the crow flies'' , I already have the road distance done on route planner just wanted to know the same ATCF.
  2. It is relatively simple trig if you sit and think it out, but I haven't done that since subs courses in 68 so can't remeber. These days I just use dividers.
  3. Use a rule to measure the distance between the two points A & B then Multiply the result by the scale...

or am I reading the question incorrectly?

Another way would be to draw a triangle the base of which would be the two points A & B, then draw a line from A at 60 deg, and a line from B at 60 Deg.
    Then using the sine or cosine rule to work out the distance. All sides and angles equal....
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Use Google Earth, enter the Lat and Long between "A" and "B" and it works it out for you...

5. Thanks for the replies fellas, sorted :thumright:
  6. Thats why if you ask anyone this question in a few years no one under 30 will be able to answer. This generation knows how to do nothing because of all this technology etc. Including me.
  7. I could, theoretically, tell you something about 3D spherical geometry and/or [3D] trig (one of the two, or both) which might give you the distance based upon lat. and long. and whichever spherical model you may or may not using but, to be honest, I'd go with SPBs choice, or else use a distance table in the map. ^_^; :thumright:
  8. I do not, for a number of reasons (some of which I feel uncomfortable discussing in an open forum) fly in a straight line, despite what you may have heard. Please supply details of the start and finish points, and I will attempt to find out for you.
  9. Your cousin, the Raven, offered better terms so you can eat crow. :rendeer: :rendeer: