Help With Research Research Information Please

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by HisOldestSon, Aug 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Forum,

I’m hoping someone may be able to help me with some information. My late father served in the Fleet Air Arm as a “Telegraphist Air Gunner†during 1943-1946. As part of my family history, I am currently researching his time in the service and have just located the “Certificate of Service “, he was given on his release. I’m having trouble deciphering one of the entries on it.

During his first five month of service (presumably whist under training), at HMS Royal Arthur and HMS Mercury, his rating is barely legible. It looks like “Propmech Group 1â€, but I can't be certain. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be an accurate interpretation and, if so, what this means.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best Regards Jerry (Ex RAF – Dad forgave me eventually !!)
  2. Name rank and Number please!!! L/S or P/O maybe , then a lot of people on RR will be able to help you :wink: :wink: :wink:
  3. His Name was Bryan John Sandford, PO (AIR). Don't have an ON immediately to hand (I'm away from home at the moment), but can get it posted later if required.

4. yes please give everybody on here something to go on :wink:
  5. Ok...Further to my last, das's service number was.....

Well in fact I have two !!

On enlistment it seems to have been "P/JX455140", though this seems to change at a later date to "FX704874". This in itself seems strange to me. In my experience (RAF admittedly), a service number is for life (not just for Christmas!!). Perhaps someone may also be able to explain this anomally ?

Thanks to all for your responses so far.

6. The FX prefix was issued to ratings in the Fleet Air Arm.
    It later became LFX and eventually just L
    Prefixes donated the port authority which looked after the ratings welfare.
    D for Devonport (Plymouth)
    P for Portsmouth
    L for Lee on Solent (wafus)
    I believe that there may have been a C for Chatham based matelots.
  7. A :wink: Would suggest that you contact the FAA Museum at Yeovilton, as I am sure that they would be happy to help decipher your fathers Certificate of Service for you. The FAA Archives at Yeovilton hold many of the FAA servicemens records.
  8. Hope they aint got ours Scouse :p
  9. :lol: :lol: pmsl keyboard wrecked with tea. You and trelawney126 ought to do standup