Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with HMS Hermes Flightdeck

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
OMG, I am justing getting my 8-year old son into models, and we're loving it, these are astounding. I can't wait to show him!

As for too old, at 41 I'm finding 30-40 minutes every now and then a great way to chill after a crappy day at work, and living away from home I don't pi$$ off the wife either. Must look out the T42 models.

Hawthorns

Midshipman
OMG, I am justing getting my 8-year old son into models, and we're loving it, these are astounding. I can't wait to show him!

As for too old, at 41 I'm finding 30-40 minutes every now and then a great way to chill after a crappy day at work, and living away from home I don't pi$$ off the wife either. Must look out the T42 models.

Well done, its a great way to help your son learn to read maps & plans, increase his measuring and maths skills, geometry, trig, the lot..not to mention his dexterity, it should be compulory in schools and could help him toward engineering skills.

As for 42? Your never too old m8. Apart from an airfix 'Hood' when 8 yrs old myself, I only did my first 'real model' when 50 yrs...It wasn't much to look at but it pleased me and it was the most relaxing (or is that frustrating?) thing I had done in years LOL

Plenty more on the forums. and no end of advice on building models. There's even a whole section dedicated to Plastic kits on The Model Warship Forum • Index page

You should try r/c conversion of a Revell 1:72 scale HMS SNOWBERRY KIT for him -or self (~£40 for the kit and ~ 3 ft long -originally Matchbox kits) ...cheap as chips as a starter and a brilliantly stable model to sail; Here's one;

Here's another Fisheries Protection Vessel HMS Lindisfarne;

with lighting;

and my first builds quarterdeck (HMS Chatham);

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero

WD

I know that the Airfix range is in no way comparable to the stunning and very sophisticated models which are being talked about in this thread, but you might like some of what is available:

Royal Navy Plastic Scale Model Kits by Airfix

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I had a similar model of Lindisfarne when I was a sprog, my old man found it in the boot of a scrapped car and fixed it up so that it was remote control.

It was nowhere near as detailed as the one above, but may have been at some point before it had been mashed up in the car and by me playing with it.

I ended up swapping it for a Playstation after it sank and all the electrics got fried.

Hawthorns

Midshipman
Thanks Naval Gazer...praise indeed.

I don't know how you managed to sink her '2 deck dash' they are virtually unsinkable these ones...(though I have had that FPV out in gale force 8 and above, and twice lost the superstructure overboard through not properly attaching it....I had a mate on standby to throw in after it..but he's refusing to go in again...

..Just because the water was just above freezing...soft northerner...:pottytrain2:^_~

Last edited:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
WD

I know that the Airfix range is in no way comparable to the stunning and very sophisticated models which are being talked about in this thread, but you might like some of what is available:

Royal Navy Plastic Scale Model Kits by Airfix

WD minor already has Illustrious on a shelf in his bedroom and if he continues to be well behaved (always questionable for my mini-marine wannabe) there is a T boat lurking....

These more sophisticated kits are probably just that at the moment, too sophisticated but he has time to gain an interest and the Airfix kits are a good starter.

Hawthorns

Midshipman
HMS INVINCIBLE 1982

Thanks for the help for Rex on his Hermes build which came in torrents -Cheers lads. Now, Can anyone give me information on the object below.

A picture of Invincible circa 82..in the background -port side walkway above the machine gun barrel - is a square object sticking up -Anyone know if this is a landing indicator set of lights? If it is, has anyone got any lighting colours?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks Bry

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C HMS Nelson help Social & Reunions 2
soleil Kent Online: "RN Frigate Company To Help Celebrate 70th Anniversary Of HMS Cavalier" History 3
N Help - tom wilkinson - hms ark royal Current Affairs 12
2 HELP!!! hms illustrious The Quarterdeck 3
scouse HMS Wasp Cica 1852 Help needed History 11
J HMS Loch Ruthven late 1945 can anyone help? History 4
M New ..Help needed HMS Exeter ... History 8
M New user ...Help needed HMS EXETER History 17
M New user ...Help needed HMS EXETER International 2
B Help required HMS Tamar and HMS Terror History 10
S Help Needed - Loss of HMS Sheffield History 29
T HMS Raleigh Help Bases / Shore Est 14
T HMS LION (1910): building a model need help with details History 31
Korsa HMS Collingwood help with mobile broadband.... Bases / Shore Est 14
Timebandit Help Please HMS Scotia and Newbie.. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
marjack44 Help Save HMS Plymouth Charity 0
hackle HMS Westminster on her way to help Burmese Current Affairs 1
baldricks_bullet Help HMS crests History 27
T HMS Shrike Help The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Secure video calls help all prisoners maintain essential family ties during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Planning Inspectorate is improving the application process for Nationally Significant Infrastructure and Common Land Projects. Help us get things MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Domestic abuse: open letter to employers on how to help workers find the right support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self Assessment customers use online tax payment plans to help spread the cost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Record number of Armed Forces personnel help with Covid response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government proposals to help more people in problem debt MoD News 0
N Help with dads naval service. History 1
MoD_RSS £213 million UK Government funding to help UK scientists MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding for innovative space tech to help solve problems on Earth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over £200 million boost to upgrade UK labs to help scientists tackle COVID-19 and cut emissions MoD News 0
P Haven’t been paid... please help UPO 6
B WW2 Uniform Id help required History 17
MoD_RSS Up to 30,000 workers to help reap 2021 harvest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to 30,000 workers to help reap 2021 harvest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New trade barriers service launched to help British businesses export internationally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Savers receive Help to Save bonus payment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Apprentices help to future-proof Magnox MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice to help savers make the most of their pensions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA releases latest scam images to help keep motorists safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra help for rough sleepers with drug and alcohol dependency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New partnership programme to help financial institutions digitise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas travel measures to help passengers plan their journey and travel safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Community testing to help lift restrictions in highest tiers MoD News 0
C Can someone please help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Hi I need help Joining the Royal Navy 21
MoD_RSS Government steps in to help homeowners caught up in 'EWS1' process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government steps in to help homeowners caught up in 'ESW1' process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ocean mapping satellite to help UK scientists tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces £300 million Sport Winter Survival Package to help spectator sports in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northumberland river users asked to help protect white-clawed crayfish MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need business to help us get girls learning - and change the world: article by Baroness Sugg MoD News 0