Help with having stopped smoking

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Please bare with me on this question but if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I went on holiday with a 15 strong group (8 x adults plus 7 x children) who are parents and children from my daughters school. We went last year and had a fab time so saw no issue with repeating a trip together again this year. The 'but' is that one member of the group gave up smoking 8 months ago of his own free will but is struggling with it to the extent that he was irritable on holiday and left the rest of the group feeling as if we were treading on eggshells for a day or so.

The chap in question is x-RAF and served in Afghanistan and Iraq. By all accounts he saw some 'not so nice stuff'!

His wife is a GP and has no problem with him continuing to smoke, she preferred it when he did. The NHS will not provide any support because so far as they are concerned he has given up and therefore does not need any further help.

I gave up myself very easily over 3 years ago so find it hard to understand why he needs a special chewing gum substitute but I do sympathise with him. To be honest the best advice I could give was to suggest he take up smoking again but he is loathe to do this for the sake of his kids etc.

I said that there must be a forces charity that could help.

Does anyone have any bright ideas, perhaps I should just suggest he tries Help for Heroes, at the very least they might point him in the right direction.

Thanks Guys & Gals

Knotty

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
cheers Wrecker. I will make a list of any responses with advice and hand it over. I appreciate your response.

Knots

wife and I gave up together 2004 I went cold turkey but still fancied a smoke for maybe a few years. My misses who was a very light smoker really struggled, had patches for ages. There is no easy answer coming off an addiction, but for many it does help relax them, so if he has hidden issues from service, which is coming out without smoking he may need professional help. One of my mates is still getting help post Falkland, it stayed buried for years.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Thanks Sumo and I totally agree. I was the same as you, cold turkey and no problems, have no current desire to smoke at all now after being relatively heavy for over 30 years!
I've already suggested he contact the links provided by Dusty & Wrecker and he says he will. Has to be up to him so hopefully he does this. Cheers for your input.
Knots