Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Eyesight test? + RT query

Hi guys,

Having used the search function :cool: and tried to research what they actually do during the eyesight part of the medical, have found posts generally more than a year old. Is it performed with glasses on or off? I aint got the best eyesight in the world without glasses (understatement) so am worried the application is over before it really starts.

With glasses im confident of a pass, but without them i probably wouldnt be able to read the first line on one of those eye sight tests at the normal distance

Also, can someone explain...in laymens terms or colloquially how bad VA3 and under really is?

About the RT, which source would you say is the most suited to reviising for the test?

If it helps I've applied for AEO

Really appreciated

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
(2) Visual standards: The minimum standards for both uncorrected and corrected visual acuity on recruitment are determined by single-Service authorities and are dependent upon the proposed employment and trade group. Spectacle or contact lens correction must not be greater than -7 dioptres or +8 dioptres in any meridian. Impaired colour perception (colour blindness) is not a bar to service but may limit career choices.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Also, can someone explain...in laymens terms or colloquially how bad VA3 and under really is?

As the guidelines are very specific, you could potentially save yourself a lot of time and worry by downloading the RN eyesight requirements (which you can find by searching) and going for a test. It will cost you around £20, but whether it's a positive or negative outcome, it will probably be worth it as it will allow you to decide whether to proceed or not.

Thanks a lot guys, I've had a look at the eyesight requirements, I remember a table of some sorts detailing the eyesight requirements, i.e diopeters etc that you can take with you to the optician, are those still about? looking at the PDF, it's a six page spread and dunno If the optician would understand it all.

Would someone like specsavers be able to tell me from memory if my eysight is within requirements? or do I just ask if it's within 6 diopeters? Also on the 6/6, 6/9 scale is there any requirement for that?

I apologise if its common knowledge but I have seen 6/6 in one place and others elsewhere, probably just me but I am thinking of getting a test beforehand so would like as much info as possible to go to the Opticians with

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Eyesight - HELP PLS Current Affairs 3
J Eyesight... help please... Submariners 4
R Eyesight help The Corps 4
R Help please: eyesight The Corps 1
R HELP PLEASE (Eyesight) The Fleet 14
MoD_RSS £4.5m to help thousands in central Scotland get gigabit speed broadband MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First Innovation Passport awarded to help support development and access to cutting-edge medicines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 264,000 Help to Save accounts opened MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fund extended to help level-up every corner of United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Help for businesses seeking to develop diagnostic tests for TB in cattle MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Space Bridge’ across the world will help UK and Australia get ahead in global space race MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More help for Self Assessment taxpayers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New technology to help identify those at high risk from COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s support to global vaccine facility Covax will help Pakistan’s COVID-19 vaccination programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government sets out new plans to help build trust in use of digital identities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Top local entrepreneurs help plan boost to Midlands' economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £40 million government funding to help polluting businesses clean up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK funds to help communities in Peten to tackle COVID-19 impact MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital job surgeries launched to help 160,000 Brits get back into work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra £40m to help victims during pandemic and beyond MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces humanitarian aid for Balochistan to help recovery from COVID-19 MoD News 0
D Medical complex issue - help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS New standard tenancy agreement to help renters with well behaved pets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England funds study to help £2.5m rivers scheme become a reality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Normalisation should help deliver Israeli-Palestinian peace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation to help ensure fair treatment for armed forces MoD News 0
slim An Urgent Appeal to help Smudge Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Unique partnership will help better prepare prisoners for release MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Winners announced of £7.6 million fund to help give babies the best start in life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secure video calls help all prisoners maintain essential family ties during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Planning Inspectorate is improving the application process for Nationally Significant Infrastructure and Common Land Projects. Help us get things MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Domestic abuse: open letter to employers on how to help workers find the right support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self Assessment customers use online tax payment plans to help spread the cost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Record number of Armed Forces personnel help with Covid response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government proposals to help more people in problem debt MoD News 0
N Help with dads naval service. History 1
MoD_RSS £213 million UK Government funding to help UK scientists MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding for innovative space tech to help solve problems on Earth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over £200 million boost to upgrade UK labs to help scientists tackle COVID-19 and cut emissions MoD News 0
P Haven’t been paid... please help UPO 6
B WW2 Uniform Id help required History 17
MoD_RSS Up to 30,000 workers to help reap 2021 harvest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to 30,000 workers to help reap 2021 harvest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New trade barriers service launched to help British businesses export internationally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Savers receive Help to Save bonus payment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Apprentices help to future-proof Magnox MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice to help savers make the most of their pensions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA releases latest scam images to help keep motorists safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra help for rough sleepers with drug and alcohol dependency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New partnership programme to help financial institutions digitise MoD News 0