help with a Naval War Grave

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by MasterChief, Oct 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This war grave is in need of some care and I would like to organise a wreath laying ceremony.

Can anyone help me find info on the RNVR Officer mentioned below, the churchyard is a couple of miles from my house and I want to look at laying a wreath and tidying up the grave. Cant find any info on this Officer but he does have the DSC so that might help.

Name: THORBURN, MICHAEL VITALE
    Initials: M V
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: H.M.S. Bulldog.
    Date of Death: 03/04/1946
    Awards: D S C, V D
    Additional information: Son of Adam Brown Thorburn and Dorothy Mary Beatrice Thorburn, of Higham; husband of Marguerite Helen Thorburn, of Edinburgh.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: West of church.
    Cemetery: HIGHAM (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

2. Having just consulted the BMD Index for 1946, I can tell you that he passed away in the Chatham area. I don't think he was actively serving on HMS Bulldog at the time, though, as she was sold in January 1946.

3. Thanks Soleil

I thought it as strange that he had an offical CWG stone but the date of his death was post war and HMS Bulldog had alreday been scrapped.

I am still keen to know what his DSC was for?

Wasn't HMS BULLDOG famous for capturing ENIGMA

I still hope to take a uniform contingent to his grave site

4. Would suggest that he was wounded in action during the war and died of his wounds not long after its end. One of my relatives is listed on the CWGC database - he died of his wounds in 1919 - and has a military headstone - I think that the CWGC includes those who have died after the wars from their injuries, as is the case here.

Have you considered requesting a copy of Lieutenant-Commander Thorburn's death certificate?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Where can I find information on his DSC ???

6. THE LONDON GAZETTE, 28 MAY, 1943

R.N.V.R.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the R.N.V.R. Officer's decoration to
    Lieutenant-Commander Michael Vitale Thorbum, D.S.C., R.N.V.R.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE 1 JANUARY, 1943

The Distinguished Service Cross.

Lieutenant-Commander Michael Vitale Thorburn, R.N.V.R.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 29 JULY, 1941

For seamanship, resource and devotion to duty in rescuing survivors from a Merchantman which was being attacked by Enemy aircraft:

Mention in Despatches.

Lieutenant Michael Vitale Thorburn, R.N.V.R.,
    H.M.S. Blankney

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soleil
    Really helpful many thanks, I will keep this thread updated with any news
    Regards

8. Are you still interested in Michael Thorburn ? I assume he was buried here because his mother lived in Higham, at Turks Hill, until her death in death in 1957. His sister, Beatrice, lived there until at least 1984.
    In her childhood, until she married, Michael's mother lived in Higham Hall.
    It is odd, though, that Michael is buried here as he presumably had a family home (he was married as you know) somewhere else. He is not on the roll of honour for Higham either.