help , want to transfer from Army to RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cornishpongo, Jul 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Please could somebody help with a few questions;

1. Is 34 to old to transfer into the RN? After 18 years in Army...Doh.
    2. Would I remain on AFPS75?
    3. Are the survival equip / aircraft handler / med assistant trades heavily loaded? Are they good for promotion, pay and job satisfaction?

Many thanks in advance

C.P

2. 1. No - not too old
    2. As you would be starting a new contract, then you would be put on the new pension in my opinion. Speak to your UPO/pay office. You might have 'protected rights' or something similar.
    3. Don't know.

3. If you want to transfer then you need to request it through your own chain of command. Worth bearing in mind you might well lose any seniority/rank, you may have to do basic training. It possibly could happen, but not going to be easy, especially with your age and previous 18 years service. If your transfer then you will have to shift to the new pension scheme, but you can cary over the pervious service. Naval airman Aircaft handler currently has a 2 year wait for new entries, Medical ia about 12 months and Survival equipment is about 6 to 9 months.

What trade are you in at the moment?? Why do you fancy the RN at such a late point in your career. If you think you will get automatic extensions at 40 think again, there is no automatic extensions to 55 (this is a misunderstood idea by a lot of the Army with whom I've spoken too).

Good luck which ever way you go.

SM :)

4. You could make a better choice (if you can do it ).M<y father was a RSM for some 30+ years (latter years that is ) i felt i was born on a parade ground i joined the mob and ended up on another bloody big parade ground but would i change what i did NO