Help! Videos in powerpoint.

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Montigny-La-Palisse, Feb 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hate powerpoint, it ruins my life regularly. I am delivering a brief that includes video clips but when I try to use the brief I created on dii (Having emailed it in) none of the videos work as the slides seem to just want to link to the video on the system which obviously is on my civvy laptop. Does anyone know how, without having to somehow import the videos separately do I have them included in the actual powerpoint document?
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Depends on the version of PPT you use at home; The version I have (2007) I used INSERT to add the video images, just tried one seems fine. I can describe better at work tomorrow (I'm now away from PC) if you are still stuck. Leave a message/post/post and I'll go through it first thing (only about 0830-1000) then I'm off out.
  3. Mega, cheers chap. I have sent two versions, one in 2007 and one in 2003, both have the same problem.
  4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

In essence if you do insert it you need to keep the video in the same folder as the ppt file, the other way is to embed Windows Media player, which means you have to:

Because the default state in PowerPoint 2007, control function is hidden, you need to enable it first:

1. Left click" office" button in PowerPoint 2007
    2. Hit" PowerPoint options" to open it
    3. In the open box, select" Common" tab, check the option that" show the' development tool' option in function area", at last click" OK".
    Return to the PowerPoint edition interface, there will be a new option-"development tool".

Now you can embed your video

1. Click" development tool" button to enter its menu layout
    2. Select" Other controls" button in " control" area, there will pop up a dialogue box
    3. In the dialogue box, select" Windows Media Player", click" OK" to close the dialogue box. Then the mouse will become"+".
    4. Drag the mouse, the player interface of Windows Media Player will appear in the PPT.
    5. Select the player interface, right click, select" properties", a dialogue box will pop up.
    6. Input the path and name of video file in" URL" option.
    7. Close" properties", and you should have inserted the video.

Check this out, explains with pictures what I tried to explain above : Cliotech: Video in PowerPoint 2007
  5. I am sure the others are right but this is how I would do it.

If I wanted to move the folder about, I might zip the whole lot into a zip file too.
  6. Dudes, thanks.

All sorted now, hoofing presentation ready. Ta!
  7. Movie Maker is so much easier.