Help us Doc! Quick

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wallace100, Aug 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need some advice quick! May be a daft question, I have my medical tomorrow morning for MCD but iv just come on with wicked tooth ache the last couple of days, Iv been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain, juts wondered iv this will effect any of my test reults??
  2. Surely you need an ivory bosun and not a doctor to advise you?
  3. Well he is gonna ask are you taking any medication, you might want to ring your AFCO asap and notify them as they are forking out for the private Doctor.
  4. yeah would do but its bank holiday!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming it is not possible to visit a dental hospital today to see a fang farrier as a pain case, I doubt toothache will prevent your medical being conducted however if you are in obvious need of dental treatment, you could be made TMU. Whilst dental treatment is free after you join, we expect you to arrive with a reasonably functioning set of teeth.
  6. Im going to the dentist this week to get it sorted, was more just checking paracetamol and ibuprofen won't have any adverse affects on my medical
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's unlikely to be an issue.
  8. Step 1, call dentist. If your primary care dentist has a clue, their answering machine will have the instructions for "What to do if its the weekend and my tooth is throbbing like buggery". Its usually something like, if it cant wait, report to the nearest A&E and they will send you to their assigned live body who will do a quick assessment, hook you up with painkillers and advice or perform immediate maxillofacial surgery to correct your extreme ugliness.
    In short, I recommend getting seen, as although it should just be a filling, it could be an abscess and they never get better on their own.

Step 2, assuming you decide to either ignore the possibility of getting seen today, its too late, dont fancy sitting in A&E or rumration is not your website of choice, Naproxen Sodium is highly recommended as a NSAID, slightly better than Ibuprofen and longer lasting, available over the counter. I personally prefer Solpadeine Max, and although it is OTC, as it contains a small amount of codeine so could cause a fail on a drug test in the hours following use. If the throbbing is on the gum or lower, try a wet tea bag directly on it, helps reduce swelling and inflammation. Orajel is also your friend, apply directly to area.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Stick with the Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and go to the Toothwright! Ibuprofen / Paracetamol is better for dental pain and has less side effects than Naproxen. If anything stronger is needed then an emergency Dentist will be able to prescribe.
  10. Oil of cloves.

1. Clove oil is a natural analgaesic and antiseptic, used primarily in dentistry for its main ingredient eugenol. It can also be purchased in pharmacies over the counter as a home remedy for dental pain relief, mainly toothache.
  11. This kind of escalated into the wrong thread... i just wondered if taking pain killers would have a negative effect on my medical as i didn't know what it would entail, i told the Doc before we started and she said it wouldn't affect anything... but thanks for the concern..
    Passed the medical aswell by the way..
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Good news Wallace, hopefully the tooth wasn't anything serious either...

• Like Like x 1
  13. You've been watching Marathon man haven't you....
  14. No, have been to sea. I had forgotten about that one, min 1.33