help!! telling ur grandparents!

But Nutty, these old folks could well be the same age as us, and remember we were in the minority, most of our mates were hippies etc

I had a similar sort of worry. To my mother, i said i was sort of in selection for an engineering job. She was pleased and asked where. Said the RN and she was shocked but pleased. It's not easy to get the conversation rolling, but you'll feel better for it in the end.

dondon

MIA
I told them after I'd been to Gunner House in Newcastle , I was only 15 but they were ok about it , needed there signatures anyway in the end , just tell them mate , they will be ok ,

Maxi_77 said:
But Nutty, these old folks could well be the same age as us, and remember we were in the minority, most of our mates were hippies etc

Surely Not Peter, I don't even have grandchilden let alone one old enough to join the Mob.

Nutty

Nutty said:
Maxi_77 said:

Surely Not Peter, I don't even have grandchilden let alone one old enough to join the Mob.

Nutty

My oldest is 39 so if he had got going earlier could have had a child old enough to join up and my wife has a grandaughter who will be old enough to join in under 2 years.

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:

I wanted to be a hippy but the joss kept picking me up for a haircut and shave.

2badge_mango

War Hero
I didn't realise that attitudes had changed THAT much! When I joined, I couldn't wait to tell parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, neighbours, the milkman, and any other body who cared to listen, that I had passed all the tests, medicals, etc. that qualified me to serve in His Majesty's Navy, and my enthusiasm was reciprocated by all the above.
One of my sons decided on an army career, and is now a pensioner, ex WO1, one of my grandsons is a serving army officer, and if any of my other grandchildren decided to enlist, in any service, but particularly the RN, you'd have to gag me to stop me talking about it, I'd be so proud!!

It's a sad reflection on the state of this country to think that there may be grandparents out there who wouldn't be full of pride.

2BM

slim

War Hero
Depends on who your folks are.
Can you imagine some of the sink estate crowd.
"Our Shane is joining the navy, don't know WTFF he's giving up £125 a week in benefits to get £75 pay after deductions. And he's got to get up every morning, wash, shave and be polite. Stupid [email protected]"

2badge_mango

War Hero
Yeah! Point taken Slim. I do tend to survey the world thro' an ancient pair of rose coloured glasses sometimes. Though more often thro' the bottom of a red wine tinted glass, I'm glad to say.

2BM

I think some parents and grand parents are proud but afraid, they hear horror stories about deepcut and see Iraq and Stan on the telly and start to fretting, particularly if little Johnny is only 17.

Some posh families might think Rupert going into the Navy is a bit common. My personal experiences were my folks being over the moon and my mum cried when I passed out at Raleigh!

Latest Threads