help!! telling ur grandparents!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ship_rat, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all
    age old normal problem how do you tell your grandparents that you are joining the royal navy?
    one side is ok they, bless them, will forget in a week or two. the otherside well i'm not to sure how to tell them. any suggestions?
    thanx
    ship_rat

2. Turn up round their house in rig? That may give it away.

3. hi
    good thought, i think i should tell them b4 that. but nice idea, it appeals to me!
    ship_rat

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You walk in or telephone them and tell them, its the RN for fcuks sake not a leper colony or pox clinic. If they don't like it tough on them its your life

5. Dude, they really should be proud of you!!

6. Just tell them, if telling your granny you are joining the mob is a problem for you then maybe the sea cadets is the way ahead :wink:

7. Try saying:

'Hi Nan and Grandad. Thought i'd let you have the good news that I'm joining the Royal Navy.

See if that works.

8. thanx for the idea's,
    i think i will just go to nan and grandads and say i'm joining the royal navy, i think the simplist option is the best.
    your right though, i am that is joining not them.
    thanx once again
    ship_rat

9. Tell them your going on an expedition to establish the whereabouts of the last Golden Rivet...

10. golden rivet?
    ship_rat

11. I am sure AaC will help you go find it.

12. :cool: Unless they are CND, Greenpeace, Religious activists or left over hippies from the 60's. Just tell them cos they are from the last generation that thoght the Armed Forces were a good idea and gave unconditional support so you should get many Gold Stars not opposition.

Nutty :cool:

13. But Nutty, these old folks could well be the same age as us, and remember we were in the minority, most of our mates were hippies etc

14. I had a similar sort of worry. To my mother, i said i was sort of in selection for an engineering job. She was pleased and asked where. Said the RN and she was shocked but pleased. It's not easy to get the conversation rolling, but you'll feel better for it in the end.

15. Just told my family after the fact.

16. I told them after I'd been to Gunner House in Newcastle , I was only 15 but they were ok about it , needed there signatures anyway in the end , just tell them mate , they will be ok ,

17. Surely Not Peter, I don't even have grandchilden let alone one old enough to join the Mob.

Nutty

18. My oldest is 39 so if he had got going earlier could have had a child old enough to join up and my wife has a grandaughter who will be old enough to join in under 2 years.

19. I wanted to be a hippy but the joss kept picking me up for a haircut and shave.

20. I know the feeling, Frank Trickey ensured that we were all bald before our time.