HELP! Ross of London gunsight telescope

Sumo

War Hero
Why a lathe, if you get the right size bar stock, a tap and die set would suffice, unless you're using the telescope as an excuse to Mrs SB as to why you now have a lathe in the garage . Zeuss tables are your friend ;)
Wrecker SB wanted help not call in the gods, Zeus was the sky and thunder god in ancient Greek religion, w much is a god going to cost him?:):rolleyes:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
And I thought you were a Mech!!
Zeus Precision Data Charts & Reference Table.jpg

You should know the only Gods are ME Submariner greenies, the clanky counterparts are deemed demi-gods ;)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Right! Incensed, I found my vernier caliper and measured said thread. I lied. It is 1 and 7/8 o/s diameter. Now, it has been a while, but I don't think they do taps and dies that big! However, there are many ways of skinning a cat and cutting that thread is but one option.

Bottom line is I would love to get the telescope married up to the old theodolite tripod - it would look fantastic as the telescope is some 30ish inches long.

The telescope has (in the past) been fitted with a copper 'sleeve', upon which are two threaded lugs with wing nuts on. My 'plan' is to fabricate a brass 'U' or stirrup, utilising these studs/wing nuts. To this would be brazed a piece of brass rod/tube which in turn would be somehow afixed to the theodolite.

Answers on the back of a post card to........

All volunteers gratefully accepted!

PaulTee

I've been watching this thread that I 'necro-ed' with amusement but can I interject and ask if anyone knows what gun this 'scope/sight was used for and a guess at the age please? Any info is gratefully recevied :)

Sumo

War Hero
SB photo please, as I was thinking along the same line's some U cup on top of tripod to cradle the scope, with a fixing brace across the top, preferably not maskers?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I did take some pictures yesterday - see post #8 - but 'puter said they were too big to upload. So, see post #2 for a linky to a picture of a similar telescope.

It is a cracking bit of kit!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Off the top of my head, how about a form of padded pipe clamp?

Easy to make with a bit of mild steel or even thick ally, and easy to secure to the tripod.
pipe-clamps-250x250.jpg
Or even better possibly
ss-pipe-holding-clamp-500x500.jpg

Although the last one may cause snags with elevating the scope.

Sumo

War Hero
Now your second one is what came to my mind , an old whaler oar ? Holder, but with a UV joint in the shaft for movement? Made from brass with a leather lining?