Help..RM PJFT 4 Weeks

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by BSBRN82, Sep 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have tried doing a number of practice runs for the 1.5 mile x2, I don't understand why I can do it on land yet on a treadmill I can't complete the last run, I have my PJFT in 4 weeks can anybody help please.

2. There are many environmental differences between running outside and on the treadmill, and one rarely gives a true indication of you performance on the other. (Think temperature, wind, gradient, humidity, motivation. Not to mention the psychological differences of running along a road or staring at a wall/bird in the mirror.)
    There's an element of playing the game here: if you know your test will be on a treadmill then train, or at least finish your training package, on a treadmill. the converse is true for tests run around the AstroTurf.
    Running with a weighted pack may help as second best, but ensure you seek advice from a PTI or Trainer as to the weight and distance to cover initially.
    Remember not to get too anxious before the test as this will hamper your performance. Relax, focus and throw one foot in front of the other!

3. COMMANDO

During my physical examination, my doctor asked me about my physical activity level.

I described a typical day this way:

"Well, yesterday afternoon, I took a five hour walk about 7km through some pretty rough terrain.

I waded along the edge of a lake. I pushed my way through brambles. I got sand in my shoes and my eyes.

I avoided standing on a snake. I climbed several rocky hills. I took a few 'leaks' behind some big trees.

The mental stress of it all left me shattered. At the end of it all I drank eight beers"

Inspired by the story, the doctor said, "You must be one hell of an outdoors man!"

"No," I replied, "I'm just a shit golfer".

• Like Like x 2
  4. I kinda have the same problem, but TeddyT has pretty much sum'd it up.

(Think temperature, wind, gradient, humidity, motivation. Not to mention the psychological differences of running along a road or staring at a wall/bird in the mirror.)

I guess if you get used to doing it on a treadmill, you'll nail it outside..

Hope all goes well.

5. If you can't do the second 2.4km then that is an indication that you lack sufficient stamina and/or your VO2 max is shite. No tricks to any of this- you're not fit enough.

Try swimming as a way to increase your exercise whilst controlling your breathing, but most importantly work harder.

6. It's 10 mins of running on a frigging treadmill. Stick your chest out and place one foot in front of the other until you finish.

• Like Like x 1