Help required

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by (granny), Jan 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I keep getting a notification when I come on line. 'An unidentified programme wants access to your computer'.
    "set up.exe"
    unidentified publisher.
    I keep cancelling it but it's very persistant. Any advice folks ?
  2. Sounds like you might have a rootkit or trojan trying to run or install. It has installed a registry hook that is in startup. You could find it with Regedit or CCleaner and disable it, hopefully it hasn't already run.

Scan with antivirus if you can, use a rootkit detector like rootkit revealer, spybot search and destroy, might need to run HiJack this for further debug info.

Good source for antivirus programs, lots are free.
    Anti-Malware Downloads -

I like AVG (free), ESET NOD32 gets good recommends but is trial/buy.
    Malware Bytes is one of the most useful at trapping stuff AVG might miss, and free for the base install.

Close popup windows with alt-F4 (clicking anyhwere in the window, even on what appears to be a red x can run the install). check for signs of it running with task manager (make sure to show processes from all users)
    Consider starting in a user with reduced privileges (i.e. cannot install programs)
    Do not use this computer to log on to any bank or otherwise sensitive info, it may have already installed a keylogger.

Hopefully you have a restore point to go back to that could undo the program.

If you have access to a clean computer, use it to change any bank passwords you have now.
    Dont use USB sticks with the possibly infected computer, once you do you should consider them infected also.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Download the free version of Malwarebytes. Wouldnt be without it .

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I had to fix OH's log on on our laptop recently as he had the white screen of death. Had been using AVG but something obviously got through. Now using Malwarebytes instead.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  5. Has he been looking at hotel websites again, reminiscing? :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  6. exJenny

Those and trains on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's what he told you anyway ;)
  8. ExJenny you swapped AVG antivirus for Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is not an antivirus its malware program, and yes its the best by far. If you have removed AVG to be totaly safe get MSE as it scans downloads and is very good even if it is microsoft ( I know some dont like microsoft). Security essentials is very good and dosnt do all the nasty things norton and McAffy do , ie lock your internet conection when the subscription runs out and you think Ill uninstall it. There is no way other than useing Norton removal tool to unlock your pc, or of course buy another subscription.

To be safe use Microsoft security essentials Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Malwarebytes pro (full version) has live protection as well and a root kit inspector which can really dig out some persistant nasties. It will save a load of problems by actually blocking invasive installs from some sites that have been hacked or have sh*t embeded in them. It also works as a blocker should you somehow get infected stopping said programs calling out from your pc.

For 20 quid its a total life saver for browsing the net ect. It has saved my PC multipul times when ive been less than vigilant or choose to take the risk.

9. exJenny

Didn't swap. Saw tonight that AVG had been removed... Not looked into it further yet.

10. Ah right fariynuff. AVG is a good free anti virus . Either that or MSE and Malwarebytes should kill anything.

Good solid advice by Ships cat as well.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  11. I've gone from Norton to AVG and now on MSE, MSE seems the best so far IMHO.
  12. I prefere MSE myself too, just because it isnt very invasive and does the job when needed. Most nasties these days come from malware off sh*t web sites, as Ships Cat says, those sodding pop up windows that can install crp if you try and get rid if them by clicking the x or ok . I use front row sports to watch footy sometimes and some of those links are riddled with carp. Malwarebytes full version blocks them before they can do any damage so I can click the next one until I find one that is just as it says and has the football game on it without any added extras.
  13. exJenny

I blame one of those footie sites for his white screen of death.

14. (granny)

Aren't you all glad I asked the question ? lol
  15. Fixed that for you Granny now you can tell us where you have really been surfing? My advice is do not open anything you are not sure about?:blob8:
  16. (granny)

There is a saying that fits the bill.....'the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak'.
  17. more to the point is it now fixed ?
  18. (granny)

It still appears every so often. I just cancel it now.
  19. reboot your pc in safe mode. Run a malware software program while in safemode then restart.
  20. Conduit has latched on to my lappy, will malwarbytes shift it