Help requested ,, looking for old 'Jack' cartoons

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by kerms, Nov 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shipmates,,

Im a time done SM POSA in a RM unit leaving the mob soon, looking for a leaving gizzit picture to frame up and give to my OC. I remember an old 'Jack' cartoon with a Royal Marine and a Matloh in it from years ago...... can anyone help me out with a link or even a scan,,, or even a poke in the right direction ???

Cheers

2. tried the same search scouse, not the size or quality or even the one i was after , thnx though

3. Have you tried contacting Navy News?

4. I cannot find anything about "Darkie" has he fell off the radar?

5. Yes mate , emailed them a week ago , nowt but eery silence so far

6. I was on the Fife with 'Darkie' 66-69.....the only 3 badged O/D I'd ever met.............I beleive his army time counted towards time served. Great cartoonist...great character.

edited to add...

He was an Ordinary Seaman in rank but had 3 GCB's ..... not to be confused with a 3 badged O/D (like Jesse)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  7. Do you remember the one he did in the Albany, a fuckin great big black matelot grabbing a little ****** by the front of his collar and saying,
    "You can take my tot, you can smoke my tabs, drink my beer and I might even give you a shot at my women,

But never repeat never ask me to play the fuckin white man"

8. :thumbleft:

9. Darkie was on the ANTRIM 1st commish when I was on there. He'd made it to killick by then I think!

10. 487280_4602819626396_1876097888_n.jpg
    This one?

• Like Like x 2
  11. I was at raleigh in 66 with darkie he was a class leader I think PO Trigg was our instructor

12. The most memorable Jack cartoon for me was the one for the lad wanting to become a chef. Instructor slaps an old boot in front of him and says "If you can turn that into a steak son, you're in".

13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

Scruffy piece of scanning but this one comes from Jackspeak.

14. KermsI dont know if this will be of any help to you, but, there is a artists shop / art gallery type shop in stoke road in gosport (just up past sainsburys ? but before the white hart pub on the same side), i know they used to have a few of the matelot / bootie cartoons in there. hope it helps you in your search.XCC

15. Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...reminds me of the old Navy toast: "I trust with my money and my life. But never my wife!" :wink:

17. There's about 30-40 Tugg cartoons in all the yearly Jackspeak books.

God bless Rick, Jolly & Tugg.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I resemble that remark except that I was a no badge O.D.Not a common or garden O.D. BUT A BIG SCREAMING O.D. What became of the cartoons decorating the bar walls of the Royal Standard?