Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help reading naval record please

Hi I'm trying to research Leslie Alexander yeo born 1913 for his son who is 82, he has been led to believe that his father was on the HMS Pandora and when the Pandora was in South Africa he left the boat to receive medical treatment and he failed to return to the boat which sailed without him, and then the Pandora was destroyed a few weeks later, he is said to have spent the rest of his life in South Africa. The Pandora was bombed while in Malta on the 1st of April 1942, I've looked at the moments of the Pandora and I can't see it ever went to South Africa. His service record is attached if you are able to shed any light on it please, as I am struggling to read some of the writing and the abbreviations, I can see that he did 42 days training but from the bits in the top right I think he left but unsure why thanks Martin

Waspie

War Hero
There a few folk on here with good knowledge of getting information out of the 'system'. I don't know if they are regular users, so please be patient in your wait for a response to your query.

Thank you I don't think the attachment loaded on this message it may have been too large so I've reposted it with a smaller file size so hopefully its still readable, I'll try to re attach the larger file to this

Attachments

• BT_377_7_0_178090.pdf
    685.1 KB · Views: 23

Dusty70

War Hero
It would appear from the above he was not abroad - says he was transferred to the the RNR in Dec 33 from Victory Barracks (Portsmouth) (although he does appear to have been drafted to HMS Iron Duke in Nov 33) just before discharge from RNR from Chatham Barracks

weirdly in October he appeared to be a Seaman - then on discharge a Stoker !!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm wondering if you have his whole record, this one looks as though he joined the RNR as a Seaman and then about a month later transferred to the Regular RN as a Stoker. This record finished on that day. If I am right there should be a separate record sheet from his RN time.

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
Unable to find anything about Pandora being in South Africa, but have found a record of her patrols here:-

soleil

War Hero
I think that this may be one of a group of records which includes both openly accessible pages and pages which are only available on application to the MoD. It's to do with the dates.

The period of Leslie's Second World War service would fit into the start of the period for which records are still withheld.

Hi all thank you so much for looking at this for me, you have manage to read and understand so much, the bit about stoker I assume that's in the boiler house / engine room? top right where it says transferred (something ?) RN as stoker I think it says 2nd class on CKX 83625 on 6.12.33 removed from RaR strength as from 5th December 1933 what's the meaning of CKX 83625 ? is it a train place again ? was 42 days training a normal length ? then the bit bellow remarks I cant make much sense out of it ? so maybe worth applying to see if there is more information then ? I've manage to several versions of my post on this site I was having problems one of the only has the first page the other has the both pages I have and are probably better quality thanks again martin ps if I can find any other records I will add to this

Dusty70

War Hero
CKX 83625 was his unique service number (for RNR I think) - you will need that if applying for more papers

His original service number appears to be AX 17063 and he appears to have been a seaman gunner under training on the Iron Duke -

Iron Duke remained on active duty for only a few more years; in 1930, the London Naval Treaty specified that the four Iron Duke-class battleships be scrapped or otherwise demilitarised. Iron Duke was therefore converted into a gunnery training ship; her armour and much of her armament was removed to render her unfit for combat. She served in this capacity until the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939

soleil

War Hero
Hi I'm trying to research Leslie Alexander yeo born 1913 for his son who is 82, he has been led to believe that his father was on the HMS Pandora and when the Pandora was in South Africa he left the boat to receive medical treatment and he failed to return to the boat which sailed without him, and then the Pandora was destroyed a few weeks later, he is said to have spent the rest of his life in South Africa. The Pandora was bombed while in Malta on the 1st of April 1942, I've looked at the moments of the Pandora and I can't see it ever went to South Africa. His service record is attached if you are able to shed any light on it please, as I am struggling to read some of the writing and the abbreviations, I can see that he did 42 days training but from the bits in the top right I think he left but unsure why thanks Martin

Martin

I was just re-reading your original post and was wondering about the wider story.

Does this mean that Leslie's son didn't see his father again after the age of 4?

soleil

War Hero
Martin

Further to my earlier posts, I do think that it would be best to apply to the Ministry of Defence for the records at this juncture, as they won't have been made available to any other source.

These are the forms which you need:

I would get to work on this pretty quickly, partly because there may be a delay in receiving the records, partly because there is a sensitivity in this case and partly because of the needs of his son to be able to see this information.

Hi I've not spoken to him myself it's been though a friend who researches old Aston Martins I normally help him with the research on the owners while he researchers the history of the car he came across this chap and got talking to him as he new of the owner and of the car he was very interested in what we were doing and very helpful with the information on the car, then he asked if it was possible for us to help him look into his dad, he was born April 1938 so he may not have any memory of his dad, I'm going to write up all the bits that everyone has helped with and pass it on it looks to be £30 to apply for the records, one bit I'm still unsure of on the record I have top right "Cause" stoker 2nd class it looks like CKX 83625 not sure what that is, is it a new service number? For the Royal naval or is it code for a boat? Thanks Martin

soleil

War Hero
Hi I've not spoken to him myself it's been though a friend who researches old Aston Martins I normally help him with the research on the owners while he researchers the history of the car he came across this chap and got talking to him as he new of the owner and of the car he was very interested in what we were doing and very helpful with the information on the car, then he asked if it was possible for us to help him look into his dad, he was born April 1938 so he may not have any memory of his dad, I'm going to write up all the bits that everyone has helped with and pass it on it looks to be £30 to apply for the records, one bit I'm still unsure of on the record I have top right "Cause" stoker 2nd class it looks like CKX 83625 not sure what that is, is it a new service number? For the Royal naval or is it code for a boat? Thanks Martin

It's his new service number, Martin.

I will check again, but I'm pretty sure that C/KX indicates a Chatham based stoker.

It will help the people who will provide the service record if this number is written on the application form.

Please be sure to convey the information that, because the later record is a WW2 record, it is only available on application to the MoD. The WW2 records aren't made public because some of the people whose records these are are still alive.

soleil

War Hero
Martin

Something I think may be the case is that the story may only be half true.

I was the main researcher for a WW1 Research project which involved some 150 families and many of them had stories to tell which had been passed from one person to another. It wasn't uncommon for the stories to have lost a little bit of accuracy along the way, sometimes the stories were based on a few real facts and someone's conjecture.

In this instance, I would imagine that certain things were true; Leslie's boat was HMS Pandora, he did serve during the Second World War and he then spent some years living in South Africa.

HMS Pandora seems to have been off the coast of North Africa rather than South Africa.

I am wondering whether this is about a sensitive situation and it struck me that perhaps Leslie met a woman from South Africa and wanted to start a new life after the War.

Yeah I think anything like that is possible he was from Essex he married Essex in January 1937 the son was born in April 1938 in Essex then when the 1939 register was taken in September his wife and child was in shaftsbury living with a married couple his wife is showing as an unpaid domestic his wife then remarried in 1946 back in Essex and had a second child October 1950

soleil

War Hero
If his wife re-married in 1946 and given that we know that she wasn't widowed, the marriage must have ended in divorce.

My guess is that he met someone else in somewhere like Gibraltar, perhaps a nurse from South Africa and asked his wife for a divorce. The little boy was very small at the time and this is not a situation which could be explained to a small child; given that he probably did go to live in South Africa, I would suggest that something was put together for the little boy along the lines of "Daddy has been a bit poorly but now he's better and has gone to live somewhere new called South Africa, but you can still write to him".

I can't imagine that Edith wanted to ever discuss the details with her son. She wouldn't have wanted to say that he had left the family for another woman for her son's sake; I think that she did want to explain that Leslie was in South Africa though and thought it best to say that he was there because HMS Pandora was. The truth isn't something you could really explain to someone who was only 4 at the time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Can you please Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 9
C Can someone please help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Hi I need help Joining the Royal Navy 21
MoD_RSS Government steps in to help homeowners caught up in 'EWS1' process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government steps in to help homeowners caught up in 'ESW1' process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ocean mapping satellite to help UK scientists tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces £300 million Sport Winter Survival Package to help spectator sports in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northumberland river users asked to help protect white-clawed crayfish MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need business to help us get girls learning - and change the world: article by Baroness Sugg MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Help to Buy scheme open for business MoD News 0
Lemacque Service Record Help History 42
MoD_RSS £12.2 million boost for genomic surveillance to help stop transmission of COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Help Us, Help You’ campaign urges public not to ignore persistent tummy troubles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance to help UK digital firms engage safely and ethically with China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Help make Mottram’s £228 million bypass happen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £134 million boost to help UK businesses build back greener MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Marine Management Organisation (MMO) fast-tracks grants to help England’s ports and fishing industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra launches the Healthy Bees Plan 2030 to help protect honey bees MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 4,500 new Work Coaches to join the frontline to help Britain build back better MoD News 0
B Candidate Portal help Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS £29 million government funding to boost digital revolution and help keep people safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action to help prevent vulnerable young people from becoming homeless MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stamp duty holiday continues to help hundreds of thousands of jobs after further 21.3% boost in September MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Help! I'm not allowed in a High Security area..... Diamond Lil's 23
MoD_RSS Investing in foundation industries: help to back innovators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMG launches Export Growth Plan to help businesses MoD News 0
A Submarine school help Submariners 14
MoD_RSS Government pledges £1 Million in response to ITV's Help our Helplines campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark pension proposals will protect savers from scams and help tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £25 million available to help farmers boost productivity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England steps in to help pedestrians in Dorset MoD News 0
K Please help with Interview and Training information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Training fund launched to help vets prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New leaflet launched to help communities prepare for flooding MoD News 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS Government launches cross-sector Working Group to help address multiple small pension pots MoD News 0
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
MoD_RSS Hundreds step up to help smaller employers Kickstart Britain’s recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Information Campaign to Help Brits Prepare for EU Travel Changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plan to help protect care homes from coronavirus over winter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding to help hospitals introduce digital prescribing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for help to solve our data challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the UK Internal Market Bill will help to boost the Scottish economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to help pension schemes seize long-term opportunities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New flood warnings for Upton-upon-Severn to help communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Assessing the global ceasefire to help fight COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government investment to help build robots for nuclear plants and batteries for electric aeroplanes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to help healthcare suppliers improve cyber security MoD News 0