Help Please!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Macca86, Apr 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello i have a few questions i was wondering if anyone could help me out!,
    I have been accepted into the royal navy as an AET however i am now thinking maybe i should have gone to the raf and joined as an avionics engineer. Could anyone tell me what would be the better force to join to be an air engineering techinichian and what sort of pay could an average middle of the class AET expect to be earning after 3 years in each of the services? And lastly Why is it you need 3 or 5 A-C grades to do the trade in the RAF however in the navy you need no formal qualifications?I dont understand if they are the same job basically
    Help would be greatly appreciated as suddenly i have become very confused !.
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

This isn't an easy question to answer Macca! I will explain a few things.

The RAF, the new RAF system involves joining as a an Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic, lower pay band. You will be employed for between 2 and 4 years as an AMM and then return to Cosford for technician training, you will return from Cosford still as an SAC but higher pay band, maybe eligible for promotion after say 3-4 years difficult to say when you will be promoted as it's brand new system.

The RN, you will be an AET for about 4-5 years (lower Pay band) then go on LAET's course and pass out after Command Course as a Leading Hand and on higher pay band, currently you would return to training after about 3 years for POAET course.

Currently the RN AET is a good way to go, a shortage of people means fast promotion to PO if (you are good) in about 6-7 years, in the RAF you may just reach Cpl in that time. RN system won't stay this good for ever recruiting is going fairly well and retention seems to have stabilised. RAF offers more stability and the option to work on a wider range of aircraft but promotion can be very slow even if you are good. It's your choice, if you want to try some alternative opinion try:
    This is the RAF equivelant of this forum (sort of)
  3. Depends what your after I suppose, no doubting they're a good trade. In the RN, you'll be promoted quicker and earn more money, in the RAF you'll have a better quality of life and more broadening drafting options. IMO having worked closely with both it's as black and white as that, and I have to say the crabs seem happier.
  4. Do you sit down to p**s?

If the answer is yes, then join the RAF. :wink:
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quality advice! Which careers office are you at? :lol: :D
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Wrens are more fun than stuck up Crab munters, if this helps your desicion process. :wink:
  7. Ah but a lot of Navy Shemales are "fashionably Lesbian" these days, and at least Crab trouts were skirts!!
  8. ok thanks for the help why is it you need 5 A-C grades then for the RAF and not the Navy? are they the same job? I just recieved my start date today 2nd sepetember! What are the opportunities like in this trade after life in the service and do you do Nvq level 3 as well as level 2 in the navy? thanks
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Macca, concentrate on the here and now mate, join...pass...serve...afterlife. Its a vocation first, job second.

and they dont teach you how to spell... :)
  10. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think the simple answer is they can! Traditionally the RAF have had less problems than the other 2 services in recruiting so can afford to be choosy. NVQ level 3 and 4 as well as a foundation degree in Aero Engineering are part of the trade structure now, ie you gain quals as you attend promotion courses within the branch, don't expect to get the FD (allegedly equivelant to an HND but I am not convinced, it is certainly more vocational than academic) until you are a Chief though.
  11. Hello thanks everyone for the advice and help, However theres been another twist in the tale now, today i was offered a job as a technical service engineer working for british gas could anyone advise me as to what the better job would be?
    An AET or A technical service engineer working for British Gas thanks and all the best.
  12. A technical service engineer

All companies these days offer jobs with glorified titles.
    Take this and though you should become CORGI registered (a useful qualification) you will spend your days driving a van from house to house servicing central heating boilers and gas cookers.

Have fun, travel a little and get pissed often go AET
  13. ok, the thing is im 19 and still young enough to do both, For the British gas job after 2 years training i will earn 27k per year which to me on minimum wage seems astronomical and looking at the AET ratings pay i would have to get up to Petty officer to earn that sort of money, However its not all about money, the main concern for me is finding the most varied and interesting job in which no two days will ever be the same is AET this job? At the moment my jobs extremely boring and doing a job i loved would sway me to pick tht one over any amount of money.
    Thanks again
  14. From the other side of the fence (I am a registered gas fitter) here are a few pointers

1... It is difficult usually to become registered CORGI as to be accepted on the course and become certificated you need experience… therefore if you have someone to pay your fees (£3kapprox) and give you the required experience this is an opportunity that should not be dismissed lightly.
    2... You will need to re-qualify from scratch every 5 years. But this is not difficult after you have gained the experience
    3... Because it is now illegal for anyone not registered to carry out gas work the job security is very high and you can pick and choose where you work and who you work for.
    4... The wages are high because it is difficult to get registered and registered gas fitters are at a premium.
    5... It`s a recognised skill that will fast track you through the back door of most ex commonwealth countries should you ever choose to emigrate.
    6... The work is varied and you will find yourselves always on the move.

Good luck with your decision
  15. Hiya m8! The fact u r even considering becoming a gas man instead of entering the Navy says to me ( and im sure it would say to ALL careers advisors ) that the Navy isn't for you. In my opinion, if you want to go into the forces and actually get through them first 8 weeks you need to be 100% sure that your doing what you definitely want to do!!! Good luck with your decision.