Help, please.... Submarine Desalination

Micky1985

I've tried all over to obtain this information, but i'm coming in short at every avenue I venture down....
I'm looking into submarine desalination systems and specifically at energy reduction via pelton wheel turbines. However, in order for me to 'paint a clear picture', i'm trying to understand where the water enters the submarine for the purpose of desalination (or distillation). I've looked at ballast tanks and variable ballast tanks, auxiliary tanks and trim tanks and fuel tanks - None of which seem dedicated to the fresh water (desalination) generation system. Can anybody help? Is there a dedicated water inlet tank for fresh water generation?
Thanks in advance. Mick.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
On S and T class it's taken from O compensating tank back aft. O's (and M comps fwd) is used to alter the bodily weight of the boat and is connected to sea via remotely operated hull valves for either flooding in or pumping out.

There is no dedicated sea water tank to supply the evaps.

Sumo

War Hero
careful there Wrecks you almost sounded like you knew what you were saying, next you will be telling use the brine tank housed the saline water by product of the fresh water process? And only the poor fresh went fwd for drinking and cooking, you back afties kept all the good stuff.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
careful there Wrecks you almost sounded like you knew what you were saying, next you will be telling use the brine tank housed the saline water by product of the fresh water process? And only the poor fresh went fwd for drinking and cooking, you back afties kept all the good stuff.
Of course we kept the good stuff, used to recalibrate the salinometer panels so the rubbish went fwd :)

T boats don't have a brine tank, it goes back into O's which meant seawater flushing now and then.