Help Needed

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Brummielad, Sep 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just woundering what jobs will have the least strictest eyesight? I'm desperate to join up but i feel my eyesight wont be good enough for anything, weather it be dentist too warfare.

Also is there any differance in the submarine service because i wouldnt mind joining, if i could.

I know i should go and apply and just see what happens but i dont want to go through tests, interviews etc just to be turned away for good.
  2. As I am not a optician I can't answer your question directly, but googling Royal Navy Eyrsight Standards gave me a lot of figures that I also didn't understand! I would go to your careers office and get a list of the up to date standards, and then go to an optician and ask which you meet. May cost you the price of an eye test, but as you point out could save a lot of form filling.
  3. everyone gets a free eye test per year in the UK, so it wont even cost you. I got a test before I started my application (though my AFCO then admitted he had no idea what the numbers meant either haha)
  4. I can't get free eye tests, who told you that? And if you can then it's a pretty well kept secret!
  5. Just google "Free eye test UK" and you'll find a list of conditions which may entitle you to a free eye test.

6. Yeah I knew some people can have a free eye test, i.e. if you're on benefits, still at school, low income etc. But littleshinydemon said that everyone gets one a year.
  7. just quoting what the optician said to me, it was that everyone gets one a year I think it is, or maybe 2 every 18 months...that's in Scotland though and may be different for you lot:)
  8. I do not wear glasses as i got told along time ago they wouldnt improve my vision. Basically i have Amblyopia ( lazy eye) in my right eye and i am aware that is the shooting eye so too speak( why couldnt it be the left :x ). So that is the reason im flapping about eyesight, i just hope i can get within the limits for something. So basically all i can do is go into the carears office and ask for an opticians form right?
  9. It will be different in England compared to Scotland. I was in the same boat as the OP, I wasn't sure how good or bad my eye sight was, was pleasantly surprised with being given: you've just read 2 lines below the minimum a fast jet pilot must read...though glasses will sharpen everything up for you". It costs my a £12 boat trip and an £11 eye test. Go to Dolland&Aitchison or which ever optician your local careers office uses they will know exactly what you need.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The best bet is to ask to speak to the Medical Examiner at your AFCO if you have a known eye condition which may prevent entry.

Best of luck.
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Just rock up to the AFCO and tell them you want to be a sniper.
  12. It is available to most. My siter in law who works in the public sector recently had a free eye test.