help needed

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by babystew, Sep 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my grandson wishes to join the R.N. but has no idea what to go in as.
    as an ex submariner i would love him to eventually to join boats. what would be a good trade to take that would stand him in good stead in civvy street on leaving, providing he gets in. any suggestions from serving submariners would be much appreciated.
  2. Maybe he should try and be a CIS SM (What used to be a good old RO). They are training them up in computer networking now and, although pusser doesnt give you the proper civvy qualification, it would stand him in good stead when he leaves the mob.
  3. ET (WESM) or ET(MESM) will, providing he stays in and becomes a CPO, give him a Foundation Degree (for what that’s worth).

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm not a submariner, but am involved in recruiting, if I can help by all means ask or PM.

CIS(SM) is a "shortage category" which means it is a relatively short process time to enter service.
  5. Agree with that.
    The (probable) reason for not being given the civvy qual is that then, it would be possible to..lets say...thank Pusser for the training and leg it into the private sector. The more IT you can fill your brain with, the more needed you'll be.
  6. many thanks for the replies , nija_stoker i will be in touch.
    what does cis (sm) stand for . i have been out36 years