help needed

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by mikh, Aug 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right have posted in lil's, when this should probably be in naval History.

Can someone please help me, I need to know the wall thickness of a pressure hull of a U-Boat Type IXC/40.

Cheers in advance

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mikh: PM Deeps - he is the fount of knowledge for all things U-Boat...
  3. be nice sarg, this is a straight up question, brownie points at work for me if i can get an answer, tried the web, and i can get just about everything i need from there, but no pressure hull thickness
  4. About this thick [​IMG]

Can`t you google U Boats?
  5. read my last higs
  6. sgtpepperband

Mikh: I don't always take the piss! I was merely suggesting that I do not know the answer to your question but I know someone who might - his name is 'Deeps' and he is the Mod on the SMs thread. PM him and he might know the information you require...

7. cheers sarg, but a bit after deeps time and the wrong anvy at that)
  8. hey, just thought, I am on RR in works time and it is OK, as I am trying to get some info for work, :w00t:
  9. He might know where to get the info tho.
  10. Boring day at work..hence from forum...

Pressure vessel thickness on both VIIc and IXc etc was 18.5mm
    (only planned type VIIc/42 was to have 25mm plate thickness, but none were built). Don't recall any case of penetration by A/C mach gun fire.

U boats forum

Takes a shipwright to google correctly ^_^;
  11. sgtpepperband

Mikh: As Hig has pointed out, 'Deeps's hobby is U-Boats so knows quite a lot about them, regardless of when he served...
  12. Cheers for that smiffy. :w00t: Knew i could rely on RR to get the Info.

Will keep that site handy for the next question that arises,

For info it is to do with U534.
  13. Interesting words mikh!

Anything to do with this

U534 was never involved in active combat during the Second World War but used for meteorological purposes.

For technical reasons the boat will be cut into three sections for transportation to its new site by water using a floating crane.

At Woodside huge high quality glazed panels installed over the end of each section will allow visitors to see inside the submarine from specially built viewing platforms.

This is a quote from here

14. U.534 shot down two aircraft ----Wellington of 172 Sqdrn in August 1944 and one of the Liberators [547 sqdrn]involved in its sinking . When U543 sank she lost 3 crew members the rest of the crew survived.

:nemo: :nemo:
  15. As it happens, yes, firm I work for may be doing the cutting. But due to a computer crash we have lost some of the info we had on her.