Help needed

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Polycell, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm putting together and have been for about three years a database of all British built conventional submarine.
    The info I am amassing is class details techy stuff as well as all the stuff and more if I can get it that Janes supplies laid down, launch and completion dates,yard numbers etc, fates, events and fate dates and COs.
    OK I have got a bloody great base but I still have info missing.
    I have a mountain of books and a few contacts but still yearn for more. If anyone knows of any good books contacts or has info they wish to part with or share info with me that also would be appreciated.
    I am looking for info on the later classes and some very early types like the H class etc. Post WWII info skippers and techy stuff.
    What yer got? Please
    My intention is to put this into book form and get it published.
  2. Come on there must be some one who has or access to info please. I'm stuffed in the West of france and getting to Blighty as I said an expense.
    Recommend a book or three. Again please
  3. Not a subman myself, but you could try:

4. Been there done that sorry. I have more info than they have.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Do you think Dan Brown & JK Rowland need fear you're gong to knock them off the bestsellers list? :downtown:
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think OPSEC might prevent many from publishing the stuff you need. Most tech info on Western submarines is PM at least restricted (but most is Secret)
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Do you envisage outselling Peter Wright, then?
  8. I'm only doing a book on British Conventional boats and seeing as the last one rolled of the stocks in the late 80's I think the info I have is pretty safe!!
  9. Ive got my old book from Dolphin on Polaris boats,a bit on the basic side of things but has most of the system operations,sonars,torpedos,etc in there and a bit about Sub Safety(And you can read my writing !!)

Let me know if its anygood to you and I can always scan some stuff off for you.
  10. Make it up - who the hell would know other than those that was on them or maintained them???
  11. Thanks Nick I am doing a Conventional boat fact file!! I have my conventional boat course books. And I can't make up techy stuff, fates COs etc - sorry!
  12. Thanks but the information conflicts to the info I have already got from reliable sources.
  13. Not quite true as the "other" navies out there that end up buying the boats from the UK will do modifications, so while it is a British built platform, the guts may be from the US/Canada/Australia/Chile etc. so depending on their OSA, this info is still subject to restrictions....

Maybe your quest is restricted to RN boats that were built in the UK and are either still serving or were decommissioned..?
  14. Hi Poly,
    Have you tried this:
  15. Yes mate been there too. But thanks
    Whats happened to the International submariners site?
  16. Dunno, did it sink ?
  17. Have you looked out BR3043 The Development of HM Submarines? Published by MOD in 1979, it covers boats from Holland 1 (1901) to Porpoise (1930)?
  18. I have BR 3043 thanks
  19. I gave up the ISA a few years back (too many people backstabbing each other to take power to look important!! - Standfast the President and a couple who are doing a great job). Agree their website is crap. I now look after the Coxswains site - slightly better than the ISA's i think! (see link above my signature - sign guestbook if you wish) You are bound to know someone there in the photies page.