Help needed please cos I'm an aged anorak!

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Polycell, Aug 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a few people know I have been putting together a database of information of all British convential submarines
    I have been doing this now for three years and have got many thousands of hours of researched info.
    The info I have is boat names, class, pennant number, yard/hull number, builder, laid down launch and completion dates, fates with dates, events with dates, Skippers with dates. In fact the database the Submariners web site at Barrow is based on the info I gave the web master some two years ago.
    The trouble is I am missing lots of info like dates and yard numbers etc.
    I have been in contact with ship yards etc and some places like VSEL and the Canadian yard that built th 'H' class have given me some info but not enough.
    I NEED MORE INFO if any one can help I am prepared to impart some of the info I have in exchange.
    I would like to put all this info into a book and get it published.
    I have loads of books etc but..........................
    Yes I'm an anorak!!!
    If any one has any old Fleet bridge cards etc that'll be helpful.
    Thanks

2. There's nothing wrong with being an anorak Polycell, but I wouldn't disclose it to anyone else on RR. ;)

I take it you've already consulted the librarians of the NMM, the IWM and the National Archives? If not they should be able to advise you.

3. According to my notes not all of the 'H' class were built in Canada. The contract to build the class was awarded to the Yanks. They sub contracted Canada to build ten boats. The remaining five were built in the USA. So that gives you another source once you have found out which yard built them!

Hows the dept 87?

4. Try the submarine museum, Gosport.

5. Yes thanks I know that.
    Haute Vienne is hot this week thanks.

6. Done that years ago.
    I am able to get any info I need BUT
    I live in the south of france and its difficult.