Help Needed MEWSIG

Discussion in 'History' started by bombheads12, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who can remember the MEWSIG branch i believe they were Maritime Electronic Warfare and SIGnals branch and they played with remote controlled Trawlers (along with other little black boxes, very hush hush) they came onboard RFA Fort Grange/Fort Austin back in 88 anyone remember any more?
    cheers
    getting old is a bummer lol

2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

COuld it perhaps be MEWSG that you're thinking of, a NATO EW training group (see http://www.jewcs.nato.int/Org.htm) that I had the pleasure of joining a few years back on the Wave Ruler. The TRACs VAN on the flight deck was full of EW and Comms spoofing gear that was used for training purposes in the JMC that we took part in.

3. cheers Flagwagger your right (age is a bummer) but yeh they had loads of sneeky gear thanks for the memory jogger

4. I think they were based at RAF Wyton? or was that EWOSE? :?

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

EWOSE were at Wyton, MEWSG were at Yeovilton

6. Correct, I remember them now, behind the GSE hangar. :)

7. Where they actually a branch? When I was on RFAs we had lads from FEWSG (Fleet Electronic Warfare Support Group) who were basically Gollies who had managed to wangle a gucci draft going on to RFAs and operating the EW kit.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...sitting in a van near a cliff-top Scarborough hotel, listening to matelots' mobile phone calls during JMC?! :twisted:

9. .......sounds............very much like a job JJ and Blackrat would have loved.

10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Or sitting in the "satellite tx compartment" on RFA Wave Ruler listening to matelots' mobile phone calls during JMC (while FW was with MEWSG on the Flight Deck).