Help naming a book

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by linemanloz, Dec 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard tell of a book a while ago, and I was intrested in looking it up for a quick read, and as it of a RN theme then thought you fine ladies and gents might be able to help

As I said I can't remember the name of the book, but it is about a Sub that surfaces after a nuclear war to find its self alone, or something along thoses lines?

Any thoughts?

2. think it may be ON THE BEACH by neville chute, a yank sub is stranded in aus because northern hemisphere is nuked. not sure if author spelling is right. :oops:
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

On The Beach - Neville Shute
    by - written on 03.11.00 - Rating: (5 of 5 possible stars)

Advantages A very good read.
    Disadvantages Could frighten people.
    On The Beach is a tale of what might have been if.....

Set in Australia during the aftermath of a nuclear war the story tells of the lives of a group of people and the lives of the crew of an American submarine stranded from its base in the US.

With the whole of the Northern hemisphere poisoned by radiation, the deadly weather is creeping further south day by day killing all in it's path, slowly, horribly and painfully until only the south east corner of the continent is inhabitable.

It is a dark tale of people being issued with suicide pills should the worst come to the worst and the hope of a few who think that they may survive.

A book worth reading which puts into perspective what man could do if.....
  4. Thank you I'll have a quick recce of it, cheers again!

I might enjoy it, bit of a survilist