Help me please

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wannabe_submariner, May 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    My mum and dad are split up and i only see my dad once every 2-3 months.I didn't tell him i was in the selection process to join the royal navy as a ME SM until today with my selection interview in 1 weeks time.MY dad is pretty much against the armed forces and keeps saying he is really worried also he is desperate to come with me to the AFCO to have a "chat" with the royal navy staff there.Hence why im asking for help because i am unsure what to do and im worried that he will muck this up for me.I know this is a stupid question and i was stupid for not discussing it with him before i went to the careers presentation.

P.S does both my parents have to sign my forms if i complete the selection process or is it my next of kin only

any helpful advice would be great thanks

2. JCT

JCT Badgeman

How old are you?

3. i am sixteen years old

4. The decision to join the RN, or indeed any of the forces, is an adult decision. Only you can make it, and your dad will either approve or disapprove.

As it's necessary at your age to have parental assent from the parent you live with, or who is your guardian. They will either consent, or not.

It might be a good idea to take your Dad along to an informal chat, in order that any concerns may be addressed, but the decision will remain yours. You may, if he doesn't support you, have to wait until you are 18, but with waiting lists as they are, the recruiting process may take that long anyway.

I suggest that it would not be a good idea for your Dad to go along with you for your formal interview, though I must confess I don't know the official policy on this,

PS. Apologies for the fact that my second paragraph above doesn't quite scan, my excuse being that I'm somewhat bungalowed having been party to some splicing,.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  5. About your second paragraph, it would be a good idea if you were to attend the 'stringing a sentence together course' before giving advice to others. Vacancies exist.

6. I was 15 when I joined up, both my parents were against it, couldn't understand why I wanted to join. Asked them to sign (please) they did and 27 years later I became a civi again. If you want to join, and for whatever reason dont, then you will spend the rest of your life saying "what if". So talk them into signing, if you aren't happy with the life then leave. But at least try it.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As correctly stated above, you only need the signature of the parent/guardian you live with.

Your careers adviser will be happy to have a chat with your Father, but he cannot sit-in during your selection interview.