Help me identify this sailor.....

Enigmadog

Midshipman
I was recently in an antique shop in Dereham, Norfolk when I saw this portrait for sale.... I am looking to identify this sailor and then reunite this portrait with his family.... A tall order I know!!!! .... Can anybody tell anything about him from just the image.... I think his hat says OWL.... I am not navy savvy so any information may assist!!
IMG_20181223_185410 1.jpg

Last edited:

fishhead

War Hero
I was recently in an antique shop in Dereham, Norfolk when I saw this portrait for sale.... I am looking to identify this sailor and then reunite this portrait with his family.... A tall order I know!!!! .... Can anybody tell anything about him from just the image.... I think his hat says OWL.... I am not navy savvy so any information may assist!!
@Enigmadog I've been to Specsavers and still can't see the portrait:)

Enigmadog

Midshipman
I think that is the photography company in Eastbourne who took the image... My assumption is the man served on HMS OWL, was from Eastbourne and had his portrait taken on leave.... Got to be a good starter.... I think it is likely first world war era....

WreckerL

War Hero
If it is HMS Owl, there's only been one ship of that name, an Acasta class destroyer launched in 1913, apart from that he's wearing a bosun's pipe instead of a lanyard so a bosun's mate (possibly)and he's been in the mob for over 4years.

Enigmadog

Midshipman
Really good stuff... I read about HMS OWL briefly and I think it was only about in the first world war and was then scraped.... So that narrows it down.... Does the chevron on his arm show he's been in for over four years??? What rank would he be?? What would a body's mate do??

WreckerL

War Hero
He would man the ships boats, he was part of the seamans branch. The chevron is a good conduct badge, with one awarded every 4years from the age of 18. Rate badges are worn above the GCB's (Leading Hands and Petty Officers ), as he hasn't got a rate badge, he's an Able Seaman.

Enigmadog

Midshipman
So we're looking for an able seaman / bosuns mate who served on HMS OWL, who is at least 22 years of age and probably has some link to Eastbourne... Next step is to probably get some naval records searched....

Enigmadog

Midshipman
Great stuff.... As a non naval man... I don't know if there was any ports near Eastbourne which he could have been in.... I'm assuming he was from Eastbourne and had it taken on a period of leave....