Help in finding info on a war grave

Discussion in 'History' started by MasterChief, Jun 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help me find info on the RNVR Officer mentioned below, the churchyard is a couple of miles from my house and I want to look at laying a wreath and tidying up the grave. Cant find any info on this Officer but he does have the DSC so that might help.

Initials: M V
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: H.M.S. Bulldog.
    Date of Death: 03/04/1946
    Awards: D S C, V D
    Additional information: Son of Adam Brown Thorburn and Dorothy Mary Beatrice Thorburn, of Higham; husband of Marguerite Helen Thorburn, of Edinburgh.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: West of church.

Many thanks

2. Name:Michael Vitale Thorburn (Lt. R.N.V.R.)
    Medal or Award: King George VI Coronation Medal
    Service Year: 1937
    Ship Name:Victoria Albert.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. Lieutenant Michael Vitale Thorburn RNVR of HMS Blankney was gazetted for the award of a Mention in Despatches on 29 July 1941 "for seamanship, resource and devotion to duty in rescuing survivors from a Merchantman which was being attacked by Enemy aircraft." See Gazette Issue 35231 published on the 25 July 1941.

Lieutenant Commander Michael Vitale Thorburn RNVR was gazetted for the award of the Distinguished Service Cross on 1 January 1943 "for gallantry or outstanding service in the face of the Enemy, or for zeal, patience and cheerfulness in dangerous waters, and for setting an example of wholehearted devotion to duty, without which the high tradition of the Royal Navy could not have been upheld." See Gazette Issue 35841 published on the 29 December 1942.