Help in finding info on a war grave

Can anyone help me find info on the RNVR Officer mentioned below, the churchyard is a couple of miles from my house and I want to look at laying a wreath and tidying up the grave. Cant find any info on this Officer but he does have the DSC so that might help.

Name: THORBURN, MICHAEL VITALE
Initials: M V
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: H.M.S. Bulldog.
Date of Death: 03/04/1946
Awards: D S C, V D
Additional information: Son of Adam Brown Thorburn and Dorothy Mary Beatrice Thorburn, of Higham; husband of Marguerite Helen Thorburn, of Edinburgh.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: West of church.
Cemetery: HIGHAM (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

A good source of information may be the Veterans Agency:

LINK

However, consent from any NOK is required and information is limited:

Enquirers must provide the consent of the Next of Kin and unless the person died in Service, proof of death. Therefore the only data held on Royal Navy personnel who served prior to 1972 is their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
If he was awarded the DSC then The London Gazette would have reported the details, you would however need to know when the award was gazetted.

The National Archive at kew may be able to help - they certainly hold medal records for WW1, I'm not sure aboutlater awards. It would be worth asking them - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ Ther eis a lot of information available on line via the web site.

You could also try contacting The National Maritime Museum at Greenwich and maybe the Naval Historical Branch in the MOD.