Help in confirming individual is really a RM

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by TommyB, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :?: I wonder if anyone can tell me how I verify that someone claiming to be a RM officer, but who seems highly unlikely to be so, is fro real. This chap is using his clai to gain the trust of a freind but, his story doesn't hold-up. I don't want to use his claimed name, but he clams to be a Lt Col in charge of Yankee troop!!, and recently toured in Afgahnistan. But I think he's an imposter, trying it on.

Any pointers would help. Do the RM have 'troops', rather than platoons?, and surely a Lt Col would be commadnding a Commando?
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The RM do indeed have troops instead of Platoons. Yankee Company is in 45 cdo. Our hero seems to have a little bit of knowledge but it seems fairly mixed up.

Ask him how he found Sandhurst as a young trainee officer. (RM officers train at Lympstone) :wink:
  3. PM me his name - My era, shouldn't be too difficult to answer.
  4. The OC yankee company in the last Afghanistan tour by 45 Commando seems to be a Major Richard Parvin.

If this person is blagging it, then he's not too bright. There isn't a huge quantity of RM company commanders!
  5. Yankee Company...
  6. Oh yes, cheers.
  7. :lol: Capital. :lol:
  8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Shout Naked Bar and if they remain clothed they are Walting it up
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Check his day sack for a little black dress and a pair of stockings... :oops:

And challenge him to "hoofing" task, but if he looks at you like a confused idiot when you shout "Eyebrows it!" then he's a Walt... :twisted:
  10. It's not Lt Col Bellingham-Smythe of the Yankee Troop Snipers team is it?
    Cor blimey, watch your step he's nails mate. Roll Mat Death Match champion 3 years running and pussers planks yeti instructor par excellance!
    Don't mention my name, he's still after me for swamping his pit after the '83 Corps Burfday.
  11. Maybe he is in charge of Yankee Company, as listed here?
  12. Ask him if he knows Tommo and what his rank is, if he is what he claims to be he will know.

Have to say it all smells a bit fishy to me. :)
  13. There is or certainly was a "Y", rather than the usual "Yankee", Troop in the Corps. It was based out of CTC and was a Signals entity.
    As I recall it didn't exist on paper as all the necessary funds were diverted from elsewhere.
    It did sterling work down South prior to the landings.

All that aside your man sounds like a Walt to me.
  14. wet_blobby

Welcome to RR Condor-pronto. The Y troop your thinking off is based at Stonehouse (or was) part of HQ and Sigs 3 Cdo Brigade. God knows what it's called now.

I think the original poster may be getting as confused as the person he is doubting.
  15. Y Tp! Although there was talk of it becoming a Sqn in its own right. HQ & Sigs is of course now UKLF CSG.
  16. Thanks for the welcome Wet Blobby, my usual haunt is the OAMAAM site but I've been lurking about here for a bit and thought I'd better do some posting.

I believe you are correct about them being part of HQ & Sigs, I first came across them whilst doing my S3s in 1980 which is why I probably remember them being at CTC, that and age!

The said Lt Col sounds like a Walt to me as well. :wink:
  17. wet_blobby

Ah, the joys of an S3 course, I did mine roughly a decade after you. (Did you manage to pick up some Chicago taxi firms controller when playing with HF up on the common? :? )
  18. TWYThink,,,they did start it but when they realised the RAC had moved in they decided to relocate to the MSPDTR…you cant blame them as they always had grief from the RMMC…not to mention the BBRTB…
  19. wet_blobby

Say again all after T....... :p
  20. Y Tp is indeed now Y Sqn, a sub unit of UKLFCSG and still at Stonehouse