Help from the US in 1982

Discussion in 'History' started by stan_the_man, Dec 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had an interesting convesrsation with a local MP over the weekend who stated that we would have struggled to recapture the Falklands without American help. As far as I am aware the only assistance we got was the latest Sidewinder missiles for the SHAR and possibly the 66mm LAW. Obviously some intelligence information was more than likely exchanged.
    i know we got the Sidewinders at Ascension Island because our Fwd passageway was full of the feckers and the Paint shop was used as stowage for the 66mm. Anyone know different??

2. Some satelite communications and stingers to the SAS.

Also aviation fuel to keep the accension island airbridge open.

3. Not to mention the extra shipment of booze as the ships steamed back.

Don't forget they also built a new Invincible to replace the one that was sunk or so the Argies keep telling us

4. And the Yank Mercenaries shooting at us on Mount Longdon :thumright: :thumright:

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Uncorroborated! The official line was that the English-speaking Argies were taught by Yank teachers back home, hence the American accents heard at the time... :wink:

6. Yeah of course they were :thumright:

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The Vulcan that aborted to Brazil had a Shrike under its wing with 'PROPERTY OF THEUNITED STATES GOVERNMENT' or similar stencilled on it. And I think without the Sidewinders we might have been snookered. Watching from my armchair by then though.

8. Thank the Lord they were not taught at Lympstone things could have gone real nasty!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Certainly Argonaut fuelled of a US tanker prior to reaching Ascension.

10. As far as i'm aware the "Individuals" were trained by the USMC that are in turn trained at CTC

11. Yes I know that USMC are down there so was Jimmy Saville. I met Sir Jimmy a few years later at the Wilmslow Half Marathon.

Now who was that boxer who was down there was it Terry Downs??

12. Terry Marsh

13. I believe the Russians were down there with the odd submarine and some kind of discussion took place over this with a Russian Admiral.

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Did you talk as much bollocks to him over the weekend as you wrote to us in the forums? Not sure how this makes Current Affairs, 26 years old as it is.

Yank mercenaries? Been covered and thoroughly debunked I thought. Not all Argies are Spanish speaking Italians. Less of a myth from 82 (I wasn't there), asked by a senior British Officer if he did not feel British, a senior Argie Officer with a very English name and fluent in the lingo replied; 'I feel as British as Eisenhower felt German.'

Admiral Woodward covers the aid from US in his book 'One Hundred Days'.

Moved to Naval History.

15. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

:rofl: I suspect a hell of alot more!
    Sentence of the week Seadog! Days to go before you collect your prize!

Quote "interesting convesrsation " I'm still hungover.

16. There can't be that many MPs who are so knowledgeable about the Armed Forces and military history, especially the Falklands conflict and the lessons to be learned from it. Just out of interest, which one are you talking about?

17. The latest version of the sidewinder the 9L had already been ordered before the invasion of the Falklands the CO of 801 NAS asked the MOD to expediate the order from the USA when the islands got invaded.

18. I loved scaring the crap out of Occifers when they watched me put a 9L's together and then I'd hit it with a plazzie mallet to help tighten the sections..........