Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Deeps, Feb 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any of the old and bold help me out . My grandfather was a submariner during WW2 . He served on HM/SM THUNDERBOLT
    (was called the Thetis then raised and renamed ) and also HM/SM
    URSULA. Well he has passed on , just the rest of the family are trying
    to find out more about his war time service.I know he was in the med a lot
    and the URSULA was sold on to the Russians . But if anyone could help me
    out with info on any of the above i would be very grateful .
  2. For Thunderbolt have a look HERE

and for Ursula have a look HERE and HERE
  3. Geoff wessex , Many many thanks for that .
  4. Nice to see you've surfaced Nico. Wherzubin ?
  5. Cheers for the help gents . My grandfather died about 9 years ago ,but i do remember a few tales of his . He used to say no matter how many times him and his shipmates used to paint the inner bulkheads on the THUNDERBOLT a rusty tide mark would always appear within a few hours
    .This being the water mark from when the THUNDERBOLT was called the THETIS after its sinking near the mersey .
    He never spoke to any one ref WW2 until i passed my part 3 on the repulse ,he came up to Faslane for a families day onboard ,half the crew
    listened in when he opened up about his exploits whilst we were in the fore ends .And of course as we all know the rear door has a safety swing bolt
    (THETIS CLIP) which he knew all about having served on THUNDERBOLT.
    There is one family mystery , he was sunk on a boat duringWW2 and he was one of the few sailors to escape , he was picked out of the water by his cousin somewhere in the Med . Never found out what boat it was .
    I still where my grandfathers Dolphins on my army uniform . Cheers for your ears gents .
  6. You may be able to get a hold of his service docs from the National Archives or MOD. Check out the following link National Archives - Navy
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Deeps - I was always told that the Thetis clip wasn't called the Thetis clip, if you know what I mean -
    Hi Nig, where yah been
  8. I know exactly what you mean janner . Killick forendy would go nuts if you called it the ''Thetis'' clip . There was also the ''reemer'' as well to check that the tube wasnt full of water . Well i think that is what it was called .
  9. I contacted the submarine museum at gosport and gave them the name and rate of my Grandfather and one of his boats (HMS Snapper) from this scant information they were able to send me his complete service record PLUS some newspaper cuttings and pics of him regarding his award of a DSO in Norway. The museum staff were very very helpful. Im sure if you contact them they will be willing to help.

Good luck
  10. Does anybody have any decent links on HMS TIGRESS? She was lost in the North Sea I believe with my grandads brother onboard. I heard that she was involved in the attack on the sister ship of the Bismarck, towing minituare submarines to Norway to attack her, but that may just be rumour. If anyone could enlighten me that'd be much appreciated.
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer