Help For Heroes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nicks, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had a Newsletter thru saying they have managed to raise £1 Million pounds in 6 weeks.

Now that is the best news Ive heard all week

2. Why? - are you a 'hero'?

3. They are aiming to build a swimming pool and other physiotherapy items at the Rehabilitation Centre, the name of which I have forgotten.

4. Headley Court, per chance.

Semper Strenuissima

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Good friend of mine and a member of this site has passed through there. I've donated, lads, give a couple of quid eh, no one from Govt is likley to help. If we can't support our own what kind of people are we? I know we've just had the poppy appeal, but, instead of them last two pints tomorrow or the kebab at last orders, donate a few quid, you wont miss it.

6. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I'm currently at HC, undergoing a rehabilitation course away from the poor ******* in wheelchairs, those exceeding all expectations and up and mobile on titanium legs and arms, some with half their ******* heads blown away or others undergoing massive treatment for their injuries and let us not fail to forget those on the neuro ward, shot to **** but with no discernable scars but their inner hell to deal with. I can tell you all that this place is a ******* eye opener. The staff are unsung heroes in themselves - patient, diligent individuals with the sole aim of getting their fellow servicemen back in the saddle of life, despite the ******* abject ignorance of ministers and visiting oil sheikhs alike. From the outside, it is like Hogwarts, and within the hard work and complicated, individual attention is nothing short of superlative. For it to be the onus of people raising money by charity to build a ******* swimming pool for those so badly fucked up whilst the nation sits lazy arsed, watching Eastenders is nothing short of scandalous, but then again, HC is built on determination and guts, and for that to be the driving force behind raising money for Heroes (both injured and those who treat them) is nothing but a ******* black mark on the black heart of a black Government. Currently, the treatment for those able to swim (which is essential for most applications on the road to rehabilitation) is done down at Leatherhead swimming pool, where those lovely locals don't take too kindly to giving up a lane or two to stumped, scarred individuals too sickening to look at. It must bring some kind of guilt process into their sorry hearts. So, building HC it's own pool (it already has a ten metre hydrotherapy pool, not desgined for endurance and strength treatment) is absolutely essential. But you'll get no cash from our disabled Prime Minister, or his part time Defence Secretary.

Guys, please give, if you can. My dad always said, 'the service looks after their own', and he was right. Just remember that the next time Gilchrist takes his moonlighting bunch of lazy arsed overpaid, half a year ***** out on the picket lines, take your money box with you and see how much cash those residents for whom you risk your life putting out their residential fires for contribute to your comrades conditions. And if you get the chance, pay a visit to the wards and gyms at HC and see the miracles they perform to at least get men and women moving and functioning again until the MoD offer them peanuts in compensation and fucks them in the arse. I know senior staffers and possbily journos are reading this ... shame on you all. David Cameron's expenses last year? £140 odd grand. You should show some ******* respect, you worthless, greedy bastards.

Levers

7. wet_blobby

Levers,
    Fair play mate. I'm ex forces now but feel passionatly about the lads. O.K I can't spell very well or string a sentance together with much eloquence but I am fully behind the lads that are getting maimed and killed daily because of desicions that they have no part in but have to implement. If I can help further just ask.

8. wet_blobby

Are you a cnut?

9. Levers......

I take my hat off to you sir! I couldn't agree with you more. This year I will try and organise people at work to contibute to HC's charity instead of sending Christmas cards to all and sundry. Whatever money I raise I will send to HC!

10. wet_blobby

Bump....

11. Levers and I haven't always seen eye to eye, and I still believe his language is a tad fruity for a blue badge wren, when I read his post all the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I shall make it my business to be more supportive of this wonderful charity, and to bring it to the attention of all that I can.

12. Great post Levers, puts things into perspective

Myself and other members of the Royal British Legion Riders Branch (www.rblr.co.uk) will be doing a pressie run to Headley Court on Mon 17th Dec to hand out some pressies to the guys undergoing rehabilitation to show them not everyone has forgotten them. This is when their chrimbo party takes place The party will also be supported by James May (top gear) and Al Murray (pub landlord) with hopefully other celebs to join in
    The staff have asked for stuff like smellies (lynx sets) CD's DVD's socks nutty, vouchers etc
    If anyone in Pompey wants to contribute a pressie PM me and I can arrange pick up, stuff that fits on a motorcycle preferably!!

13. Yo, BQ report to my office and I will hand over some gifts for you to take. Do they need to be wrapped in Xmas paper?

Rosie xx

14. Many thanks Rosie, wrapped would be good, feel free to label who they are from, I'm sure the patients would appreciate the fact that people are thinking about them

15. Come on, Levers! They've all spent literally some time at school, university, work (maybe not), in junior polly jobs ordering in the elevenses for the big knobs and maybe more, so don't go tarring them all with the same brush. They are very, very important in a system that pays them to go to the House and bray at each other - almost non stop, during term-time. But I'm not bitter.

16. BQ you have a PM. If the rest of you in the Portsmouth area want to drop any gifts off to Warner Goodman in Fareham or even our Portsmouth office they can be delivered to me and I can then deliver them to Buster. Please PM if you want to do this so that you ask for the correct person. There is a certain person on here who shall remain nameless who came into my reception and asked for Rosie, only to be told that there is no Rosie here! Bless, it did not occur to him that RC might be a sudonym!

17. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Rosina. If it takes a serviceman like myself to use colourful language to make people pay attention, then so be it. This country ticks over quite smoothly, the wheels of commerce and entertainment and mobile telephony and quilted toilet paper are set to the fore whilst in some leafy corner of Surrey, Lance Corporal Tommy gets fitted with his prosthetic leg or Sargeant Bravefeller starts to get used to eating scran with no arms and one eye. Oh, but the next time somewhere floods those set such ways in which soldiers and sailors and airmen are 'murdering bastards' will expect some dope on a rope to dangle precariously and rescue them from the roof of a building. Never mind their bezzy oppo who now has to shit in a bag for the rest of his life and has to do so on £50k and his wonderful pension, which he'd have got anyway had he stayed out of the road of Iraqi incoming. Seems to me the only way to get things done in this life is by force and measures passionate enough to exert a reaction. Short of downing tools and really making things difficult, I'm sure I'd appreciate an unannounced, unmedia covered visit from Brown, Browne, Cameron and the two bickering twerps who claim they are the Liberal Democrat kingmakers. Go on, fellers. You'd be amazed at the groundswell of faith and opinion you'd garner from an armed force who has practically lost all hope in the political system it defends, even in countries where it has not a chance in hell of succeeding.

Any journos still reading this posting should get their arses down to HC sometime before Xmas and lend support, instead of concentrating on Gemma Atkinson's tits and some ******'s house in Margate. Anneka Rice was there recently and Al Murray is a local celebrity, and I salute their attention to the place. It does make a big, big difference.

Levers

18. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Thanks for the kick *********** there Levers, missed this but have now donated.

19. Could not have put it better myself.

Still you always get one Idiot I suppose.

20. I received my Help for Heroes wristband today, along with a mousemat that I ordered,
    Last night Children in Need raised £19 million, it's easy to raise money for a charity that supports kids or fluffy animals. I refuse to give to the big charities, they have it easy compared to the likes of HC, H4H and numerous other charities that support less easy causes.