Help finding a former RN submarine officer

Hello! I'm searching for a Royal Navy PO who was stationed in HMSA Stadacona in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada approximately 1961-1964. His name is William H. Black, I have his Chiefs and PO's Membership Card.
Here is the information I have:

Born: approx. 1931 (+/- 5 years)
Service Number: P/MX 890778
Arrived or departed Stadacona on the HMS Auriga
Served on the HMS Maidstone/Dreadnought in 1965
Received an RN Long Standing or Good standing award/payment in November 1965

I've attached the images of the documents I have. I believe his records at TNA are closed until 2032. I've reached out to related Facebook groups, searched the National Archives collections & Ancestry.com, and contacted the Submariners Associations in Canada.

Does anyone have advice on where else to look? Or happen to have spent time in Stadacona during this time?

Thanks!

Attachments

Portergervan - you say you have tried elsewhere - on Facebook there is 'Buddies in Boats', 'We Remember Submariners', 'UK submarine Service' and 'HMS Dolphin' - to name but a few.

I take it you are on/have looked for HMS Maidstone and HMs/m Auriga and HMs/m Dreadnought sites too?

Good luck with your quest - please keep s all informed!

Last edited:
Portergervan - you say you have tried elsewhere - on Facebook there is 'Buddies in Boats', 'We Remember Submariners', 'UK submarine Service' and 'HMS Dolphin' - to name but a few.

I take it you are on/have looked for HMS Maidstone and HMs/m Auriga and HMs/m Dreadnought sites too?

Good luck with your quest - please keep s all informed!
Thank you! I'll try those groups as well!!

Hate to say it but if he was born in 1931, few submariners of that era have lived to 87.

Did he owe you much?

Honestly, I don't expect him to be alive. But I do believe him to be my maternal grandfather. My intention is not to bother his family (I presume he went on to have a family elsewhere), but just to get some information about who he was for my mother. She would love to know if this was actually her father - she was never told anything growing up (his name, what happened to him - nothing) until my grandmother passed away and she found this Membership Card packed away with a diamond ring in her belongings.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Honestly, I don't expect him to be alive. But I do believe him to be my maternal grandfather. My intention is not to bother his family (I presume he went on to have a family elsewhere), but just to get some information about who he was for my mother. She would love to know if this was actually her father - she was never told anything growing up (his name, what happened to him - nothing) until my grandmother passed away and she found this Membership Card packed away with a diamond ring in her belongings.
Totally get it, but wonder if you'll ever know, short of a DNA test....which could actually bring families into conflict with regard inheritance, sadly.

Generally, unless the individual submitting the inquiry is bone-fide next of kin, there's no legitimate way copies of the original service records can be obtained by a third party, from official sources. Even then, a service record is unlikely to disclose much beyond dates of service, conduct, medals awarded and units served. Possibly, possibly the next of kin name/address (written in pencil) from the date of discharge may give you something.

Either way, best of luck in your quest.

Totally get it, but wonder if you'll ever know, short of a DNA test....which could actually bring families into conflict with regard inheritance, sadly.

Generally, unless the individual submitting the inquiry is bone-fide next of kin, there's no legitimate way copies of the original service records can be obtained by a third party, from official sources.

Either way, best of luck in your quest.
Thanks Ninja_Stoker. You are correct, it gets complicated with family and we would never want to turn someone else's family story upside down. For us, it would be closure to know a few of the details. Thanks!