Help finding a former RN submarine officer

Hello! I'm searching for a Royal Navy PO who was stationed in HMSA Stadacona in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada approximately 1961-1964. His name is William H. Black, I have his Chiefs and PO's Membership Card.
Here is the information I have:

Born: approx. 1931 (+/- 5 years)
Service Number: P/MX 890778
Arrived or departed Stadacona on the HMS Auriga
Served on the HMS Maidstone/Dreadnought in 1965
Received an RN Long Standing or Good standing award/payment in November 1965

I've attached the images of the documents I have. I believe his records at TNA are closed until 2032. I've reached out to related Facebook groups, searched the National Archives collections & Ancestry.com, and contacted the Submariners Associations in Canada.

Does anyone have advice on where else to look? Or happen to have spent time in Stadacona during this time?

Thanks!

Attachments

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Portergervan - you say you have tried elsewhere - on Facebook there is 'Buddies in Boats', 'We Remember Submariners', 'UK submarine Service' and 'HMS Dolphin' - to name but a few.

I take it you are on/have looked for HMS Maidstone and HMs/m Auriga and HMs/m Dreadnought sites too?

Good luck with your quest - please keep s all informed!

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hate to say it but if he was born in 1931, few submariners of that era have lived to 87.

Did he owe you much?

Portergervan - you say you have tried elsewhere - on Facebook there is 'Buddies in Boats', 'We Remember Submariners', 'UK submarine Service' and 'HMS Dolphin' - to name but a few.

I take it you are on/have looked for HMS Maidstone and HMs/m Auriga and HMs/m Dreadnought sites too?

Good luck with your quest - please keep s all informed!
Thank you! I'll try those groups as well!!

Hate to say it but if he was born in 1931, few submariners of that era have lived to 87.

Did he owe you much?

Honestly, I don't expect him to be alive. But I do believe him to be my maternal grandfather. My intention is not to bother his family (I presume he went on to have a family elsewhere), but just to get some information about who he was for my mother. She would love to know if this was actually her father - she was never told anything growing up (his name, what happened to him - nothing) until my grandmother passed away and she found this Membership Card packed away with a diamond ring in her belongings.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Honestly, I don't expect him to be alive. But I do believe him to be my maternal grandfather. My intention is not to bother his family (I presume he went on to have a family elsewhere), but just to get some information about who he was for my mother. She would love to know if this was actually her father - she was never told anything growing up (his name, what happened to him - nothing) until my grandmother passed away and she found this Membership Card packed away with a diamond ring in her belongings.
Totally get it, but wonder if you'll ever know, short of a DNA test....which could actually bring families into conflict with regard inheritance, sadly.

Generally, unless the individual submitting the inquiry is bone-fide next of kin, there's no legitimate way copies of the original service records can be obtained by a third party, from official sources. Even then, a service record is unlikely to disclose much beyond dates of service, conduct, medals awarded and units served. Possibly, possibly the next of kin name/address (written in pencil) from the date of discharge may give you something.

Either way, best of luck in your quest.

Totally get it, but wonder if you'll ever know, short of a DNA test....which could actually bring families into conflict with regard inheritance, sadly.

Generally, unless the individual submitting the inquiry is bone-fide next of kin, there's no legitimate way copies of the original service records can be obtained by a third party, from official sources.

Either way, best of luck in your quest.
Thanks Ninja_Stoker. You are correct, it gets complicated with family and we would never want to turn someone else's family story upside down. For us, it would be closure to know a few of the details. Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Help finding out past. History 12
U Help, with finding my Grandfathers Navy Service records, during ww2??... History 8
MasterChief Help in finding info on a war grave History 4
K Help Needed Finding A RN Badge History 5
MasterChief Help in finding info on a war grave Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS HMRC invites hospitality industry to register for Eat Out to Help Out MoD News 0
BratMedic Help identifying my late father's shipmate in the 1930s. History 2
MoD_RSS Treasury Direction made under Sections 71 and 76 of the Coronavirus Act 2020: Eat Out to Help Out Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eat Out to Help Out Scheme: ministerial direction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rishi's Plan for Jobs will help Britain bounce back MoD News 0
MoD_RSS It's key for jobcentres to help people back to their feet MoD News 0
D Help - Uniform ID Please History 17
MoD_RSS Yemen needs international help to escape tragedy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public asked to leave a name and number with venues to help stop the spread of COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid will help provide millions of Palestinians with healthcare and education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Comprehensive new funding package for councils to help address coronavirus pressures and cover lost income during the pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government unveils £200 million package to help innovative businesses bounce back MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK government and UN commit to protect seafarers and help stabilise global shipping market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK International Development Secretary gives strong commitment to help Bangladesh and Rohingya through the coronavirus crisis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK locust sprayers arrive in Pakistan to help tackle crises MoD News 0
D Resettlement Help - New Book The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
D Help with old WW1 photo History 10
MoD_RSS New satellite data made available to help tackle public challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Furloughed workers help the government tackle coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New rules on face coverings coming in on Monday will help keep passengers safe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government invests £10 million to help make future technologies more secure MoD News 0
G Help! History 16
MoD_RSS New advice to help councils fight procurement fraud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business Secretary launches working groups to help unleash Britain's growth potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dounreay gives £100,000 to help businesses recover from Covid-19 MoD News 0
C Voice Powered telephone. Help. Bloody Computers 26
MoD_RSS Yemen: New UK aid will help stop the spread of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further assistance to help the marine development sector from MMO MoD News 0
C Help a Collector Hobbies & The Great Indoors 21
C Uniform Help The Fleet 10
MoD_RSS Dame Louise Casey calls on community partners to help with COVID-19 rough sleeping crisis MoD News 0
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 8
MoD_RSS Help with mortgages to continue for homeowners affected by Coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Bill will help your business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Additional £58 million to help Scotland tackle coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Care home support package backed by £600 million to help reduce coronavirus infections MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom announces two COVID-19 response services for eligible developing countries to help combat the impact of the virus on international MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secure video calls to help prisoners maintain family ties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government guidance to help Britain's top sportsmen and women to return to training safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance launched to help get Brits safely back to work MoD News 0
Stirlin Help to buy. The Quarterdeck 2
MoD_RSS British Gurkhas and UK Government rescue mission to help stranded Brits in Nepal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Information for Help to Buy: Equity Loan customers during Coronavirus (COVID-19) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £6.1 million funding boost to help high streets and town centres through pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lifetime ISA rules changed to help people whose incomes are affected by Coronavirus MoD News 0